Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Avro Lancaster

Avro Lancaster 20 Jan 2009 18:58 #1

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Can everyone cast their minds back a few years? I can remember an article in the papers about a cache of buried Lancasters that had been found in the Brigg area. The article was accompanied by a picture showing an image from a metal detector recording. I must admit at the time that I had suspicions about this story, and it soon died a death.

Now was there any truth behind this story???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Avro Lancaster 20 Jan 2009 19:12 #2

• Mike
  • Thank you received: 4

Avro Lancaster 20 Jan 2009 19:22 #3

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for that, hadnt realised the story was that old, and yes it does seem to be if not a hoax then perhaps a myth.

Avro Lancaster 20 Jan 2009 20:04 #4

• jason
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 57
I read this thread and it seems very strange to me, how can you bury a Lanc and EVERYTHING rots away. I've seen plenty of stuff thats been dug up from all over the country and i've never heard of people finding nothing at crash sites or the like.
The fact they say nothing was found could be an excuse for what started a local myth and needed to be brought to an end.

Avro Lancaster 20 Jan 2009 21:22 #5

• kebecker
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 205
I tend to agree with Jason, I think it is local myth, likely based on fact, but exageration has crept in over the years. As a young whipper snapper I remember picking up bits of aluminium near the technical site at North Witham, with a few itterations, time and doubtless a few pints would that equate to a complete C47 buried in the woods, well of course not. Oh hope I have not started a local myth!!!!

Avro Lancaster 21 Jan 2009 09:15 #6

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 438
If digging over my vegetable plot is anything to go by, the sheer enormity of excavating a hole, or holes, large enough and deep enough to bury several Lancaster aircraft is beyond belief even using mechanical equipment. Especially as there would not have been a good enough reason.

When airfields were decommissioned at the end of the war, it was not uncommon for various equipment items which were surplus to requirement to be disposed of in this way rather than go through the rigmarole of returning them into the Supply system but these would have been relatively small caches. That said, I am always ready to be surprised!

Avro Lancaster 21 Jan 2009 18:04 #7

• binbrook74
  • Thank you received: 0
I can remember this and did have at one point the newpaper article with the scans on them.
As far as i can remember the airfield was elsham wolds.
The airframes were apparently wrapped in hesium ? Think thats what it was called and then buried.
The scans did actually look like the fuselage of a lancaster but surely if this was true the weight of the soil above would crush them to a degree.
Wasn this part of a group who planned on building a museum at a old raf base and were going to dislay these lancasters?
All sounded exciting as a child but then nothing ever came or was heard about this anymore.

Avro Lancaster 21 Jan 2009 19:10 #8

• philsfields
FRIEND OF MINE WAS AN AGRI CONTRACTOR ON ELSHAM WOLD AIRFIELD , NOT ALLOWED TO SPRAY OR DRIVE OVER CERTAIN PARTS OF FIELDS DUE TO UNSTABLE SOIL / POLLUTED SOIL ( OIL /FLUIDS ) WHAT WAS BURIED THERE???????

Avro Lancaster 21 Jan 2009 19:19 #9

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Maybe nothing buried there, but dont forget there would have been fuel hydraulic fluid etc on the airfield. That will have seeped in to the soil.

Oh and can you do me a favour and turn off your caps lock please!

Avro Lancaster 21 Jan 2009 19:27 #10

• philsfields
Sorry about that , good point , he said some of the old farm blokes talked of burying things , but as in other cases it could just be put down to urban myth .

Time to create page: 0.855 seconds