Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Avro Lancaster

Avro Lancaster 27 Oct 2016 07:18 #391

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 617
Excuse the poor photo quality as it's taken through a window, but here's a photo of PA474 that I took yesterday going through her 6 month major service at Duxford.

The BBMF have announced that with on going maintenance she will hopefully still be flying in 2065!! :cheer: -

Steve

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by stevie.

Avro Lancaster 01 May 2017 09:11 #392

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 617
I notice that there are no photos in this thread of East Kirkby's 'other' Lancaster KB976, a MK.10 AR that is staying at the airfield temporarily until a new home is found -

Nice to see her sporting two schemes -

Just Jane was also out enjoying the sunshine on my visit showing off her fresh new paint job -

...& hopefully one day we'll see & hear her rolling down this runway into those Lincolnshire skies -

Steve
:)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: REF, kebecker, airfields man, Ossington_2008, Guest_1, Bomber

Last edit: by stevie.

Avro Lancaster 01 May 2017 16:27 #393

• kebecker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 205
Nice to see the Canadian Guest, 405 Squadron is still operational and flying CP-140 Auroras, so the four engined link continues.

Avro Lancaster 06 Dec 2017 17:48 #394

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I watched the Dambusters for the umpteenth time the other day. Something I noticed for the first time was the crew leaving a Lanc by a hatch on the underside near the front of the aircraft. Was this on the marks in service in wwii? AFAIK the only entrances/exits were the door rear right and the bomb aimers hatch.

Avro Lancaster 06 Dec 2017 18:04 #395

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
The main spar was a PITA to negotiate and most aircrew don't fancy the humiliation to scramble over it. If the ground crew have a purpose made ladder to hand, then the front escape hatch (available since the first Manchester) would be preferred, for exiting at least. The ground crew, the rear gunner and maybe mid-upper would make more use of use the rear door.
Also, I think it looked more "rugged" for cinematic purposes to use the front. Makes coming back from an op less like stepping off the tube.

Avro Lancaster 08 Dec 2017 15:28 #396

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Thanks for that. I must admit I thought the only entrance was the rear door, and that the one in the nose was the bomb aimers window, never knew there was a hatch under the cockpit, you learn something new.

Now why was the door on right?

Time to create page: 0.632 seconds