• Page:

TOPIC: Airbus A400M Atlas

Airbus A400M Atlas 05 Dec 2018 13:17 #1

• John Anderson
  • John Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Not sure how old this story is, but in "Airforces Monthly" for November the Luftwaffe is to receive new C-130 Hercules to be operated by a joint French-German unit. I understood that the Atlas was seen as a replacement for the Hercules (isn't that the way the RAF view it?). Is there something the Hercules can do that the Atlas cannot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Airbus A400M Atlas 05 Dec 2018 13:48 #2

• netcompsys
  • Thank you received: 867

John Anderson wrote: Not sure how old this story is, but in "Airforces Monthly" for November the Luftwaffe is to receive new C-130 Hercules to be operated by a joint French-German unit. I understood that the Atlas was seen as a replacement for the Hercules (isn't that the way the RAF view it?). Is there something the Hercules can do that the Atlas cannot?

For the French and Germans the A400M is a replacement for the Transall C-160

What the commentators are saying is that the A400M
1) is unsuitable for Special Forces Operations ( same as the RAF view)
2) There are many strips/situations in Africa where an Atlas would be inappropriate for "aid" missions

Note that some of this squadron is equipped for tanking where they say that some smaller reciever aaircraft would find tanking from a A400 or larger would be more difficult than necessary
kevin

Airbus A400M Atlas 05 Dec 2018 15:02 #3

• netcompsys
For comparison

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sitacuisses and creators of original images, see "Source". [CC BY-SA 3.0 ( creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0 )], via Wikimedia Commons
kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Anderson

Airbus A400M Atlas 05 Dec 2018 18:34 #4

• netcompsys
Worth saying that this is a future capability, in 2021, the squadron should be ready for initial operations (Initial Operational Capability, or IOC),
and that by 2024 they should have achieved full operational capability (FOC).
kevin

Airbus A400M Atlas 07 Dec 2018 14:19 #5

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
So the Luftwaffe has finally seen sense and bought the C130, IIRC they are the last NATO member to do so. I remember at Goose a C160 having an engine fire halfway between Goose and Keflavik, I bet that the crew and passengers were a bit twitchy. Not as big a problem if youve got four engines.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds