Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boeing 747

Boeing 747 03 Aug 2014 12:40 #1

• John Anderson
  • John Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
B747 SP Private Aircraft

This aircraft belonged to the former ruler of a very wealthy Middle Eastern state. While on holiday in Europe in the mid 90's, his son took over the country and took back the Airbus A340 that the father had been using. Being stuck for transport the father bought this B747 (ex Pan Am and United), which had been stored in the desert near Las Vegas for several years. The aircraft was made airworthy and flown to Singapore for a D check and some minor interior mods. Subsequently the aircraft was registered in Bermuda and initially was managed by and flown with BA crew and engineers while based at Stansted.

I believe the aircraft still flies with a VIP flight in the Gulf.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by stevie.

Boeing 747 07 Aug 2014 21:17 #2

• IanDDavidson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 87

John Anderson;148749 wrote: [IMG]/community/148749=17708-Scan 3.jpg

This aircraft belonged to the former ruler of a very wealthy Middle Eastern state. While on holiday in Europe in the mid 90's, his son took over the country and took back the Airbus A340 that the father had been using. Being stuck for transport the father bought this B747 (ex Pan Am and United), which had been stored in the desert near Las Vegas for several years. The aircraft was made airworthy and flown to Singapore for a D check and some minor interior mods. Subsequently the aircraft was registered in Bermuda and initially was managed by and flown with BA crew and engineers while based at Stansted.

I believe the aircraft still flies with a VIP flight in the Gulf.

The last I heard this aircraft was based in Bournemouth. One of the flight crew is an ex BA Concorde Captain with many hours on both Concorde and 747. I met him through contacts in the village of Highclere (twinned with Downton Abbey) and he is a remarkable man.

Boeing 747 28 Jul 2016 11:23 #3

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 396

Boeing 747 23 Aug 2017 16:35 #4

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
I had heard this before. A couple of years ago there were no orders for the 747 or the A380 either.

Boeing 747 24 Aug 2017 07:56 #5

• stevie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 561
It would appear that one of the Cathay Pacific 747's that are being broken up at Bruntingthorpe has had it's cockpit section saved. Cathay Pacific wish to retain it as I understand it.

I'm guessing & hoping they'll display it somewhere eventually.

Boeing 747 03 Jun 2018 10:14 #6

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
I saw a documentary yesterday on BBC news channel about the 747, its coming up to the 50th anniversary of its first flight. And there are now no 747s in airline service in the USA.

Boeing 747 03 Jun 2018 17:13 #7

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 396
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines 747-400 PH-BFV seen by me in July 2002 and again in May 2018, both times in Amsterdam:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds