TOPIC: Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 23 Jan 2016 22:34 #1

• Scammell Amazon
  • Scammell Amazon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
At Brest, France

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by REF. Reason: Formatted title

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 11 May 2016 15:18 #2

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Frelon means hornet in french. And thats why in Canadian service the F18 has no name, they consider it would be confusing to call it frelon.

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 11 May 2016 16:59 #3

• kebecker
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 205
ermm according to DND's web site: But in practice you are correct it gets call the CF18 :)

Très polyvalent, le chasseur supersonique de classe mondiale CF188 Hornet, plus connu sous le nom de CF18, peut tirer sur des cibles terrestres et aériennes. Ses deux réacteurs produisent une poussée suffisante pour soulever du sol 24 camionnettes de pleine grandeur.

A versatile, world-class fighter aircraft, the supersonic CF-188 Hornet, or CF-18 as it is popularly known, can engage both ground and aerial targets. Its twin engines generate enough thrust to lift 24 full-size pick-up trucks off the ground.

All of the RCAF fleet appear to have names: www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft.page

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 13 May 2016 15:35 #4

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well according to my book published in 1984 about the history of the RCAF and CF air command the CF18 or to be exact the CF188 is not called Hornet as that translates as Frelon. And according to the book that was Canadian Forces policy!!!!!!

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 16 May 2016 14:07 #5

• kebecker
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Interesting, the first Quebec sovereignty referendum was in 1980, this may have coloured policy at the time?

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 16 May 2016 16:18 #6

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I was under the impression that because of the "dual languages act" that in the Canadian government everything must be in both languages. I believe thats why the rank of Master Corporal was introduced, in French its Corporal du chef, which is of course a French army rank. And the Victoria Cross of Canada has the words on the front in latin to get over that problem!!! It says pro valore, although as yet none have been awarded.

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 16 May 2016 17:55 #7

• kebecker
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Correct any Federal Government document must be available in both languages. You will note from my original post that the translation on the DND website does not change Hornet to french. Its a very odd system sometimes. You re spot on regrding ranks, these are translated so for example Chief Warrant Officer of the Royal Canadian Air Force (is there an equivalent in the RAF? I do not think so) is translated as Adjudant-chef de l'Aviation royale canadienne (the lower case is apparently correct!)

Sorry thread drift!

Aérospatiale SA-321 Super Frelon 18 May 2016 14:16 #8

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Actually there is, hes called the Chief of the Air-Staffs Warrant Officer. UIm guessing that the reason why the RCAF hasnt gone back to the pre 68 officer ranks is that they will be difiicult to tranlate in to French, wiki say its because the Canadian Air Force (the pre 24 air force) used army ranks. But my guess its because of the difficulty in translating.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.738 seconds