Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Produce Compound 3693/40

Produce Compound 3693/40 07 Jul 2018 08:32 #1

• IanBrown
  • IanBrown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Can anyone tell me what the exact function of a Produce Compound was? I've seen various mentions of such buildings, but can't find anything saying what they were used for. There is no mention in British Military Airfield Architecture by Paul Francis nor British Airfield Buildings of the Second World War or British Airfield Buildings Volume 2: The Expansion & Inter-War Periods, both by Graham Buchan Innes. I've heard various suggestions, from storing vegetables to crashed aircraft components but nothing definitive.

If anyone can provide definitive information as to the function of a Produce Compound, with particular reference to the 3693/40 type, I would be very grateful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Produce Compound 3693/40 07 Jul 2018 16:30 #2

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I'd like to know. I've always assumed it was for storing spuds.

Produce Compound 3693/40 08 Jul 2018 06:27 #3

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 342
Presumably, you have seen this description and drawing number on a specific RSP?

I have seen a description on some RSPs as 'Ration and Local Produce Store' under a different drawing number on others 'Local Produce Store' implying that the term 'Produce' related to greengrocery such as fruit and vegetables.

On pre-war airfields I should expect to see such a store adjacent to the Dining Room//Cookhouse/Ration Stores whereas on wartime build airfields it would be on a dispersed Communal Site.

Certainly the 36xx series drawings seem to be common for domestic buildings as opposed to technical.

But, the term 'Compound' implies an open roof store being a simple walls only with gates structure, not exactly weather resistant storage for green groceries!

Food for thought.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds