Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Allen-Williams Turrets

Allen-Williams Turrets 06 Jul 2012 14:33 #21

• cptpies
  • Thank you received: 0

mbriscoe;106332 wrote: Any ideas on the buildings at Goat near them?

Yes, they are an ex accommodation site for the airfield.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Download the latest version of the EDoB from here www.dropbox.com/sh/bvqoezihsx997yj/AABRo...kyApwIm6oF9foqa?dl=0

Allen-Williams Turrets 08 Oct 2012 14:02 #22

• outkast
north weald 1

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

north weald 2

radlett

duxford

bembridge IOW 1

Bembridge IOW2

Allen-Williams Turrets 23 Oct 2014 18:29 #23

• Mad Dalek
Hi Jerry,
I know that your post was a fair few years ago but can you remember where at Harlaxton this turret was? A grid reference would be great if possible. I am trying to locate all surviving turrets whether in private collections or still in their original locations. Your help or anyone else's would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation
Jan

Allen-Williams Turrets 24 Oct 2014 10:07 #24

• deprecated
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

Mad Dalek;152315 wrote: Hi Jerry,
I know that your post was a fair few years ago but can you remember where at Harlaxton this turret was? A grid reference would be great if possible. I am trying to locate all surviving turrets whether in private collections or still in their original locations. Your help or anyone else's would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation
Jan

I'm sure there are quite a few more still to find but at last count I think I had 53 survivors (though few complete examples). Of those, about ten are in private collections. Others are in museums but not necesarily on display (eg the two at Cobbaton - though the plan is to make a full example and display it with re-enactors).

The Harlaxton example is on the north side of Gorse Lane, about 200m away from the junction with the track to Echo Farm.

Allen-Williams Turrets 24 Oct 2014 10:43 #25

• Mad Dalek
Hi Iain,
Thanks for your swift response. I know about this one but I am under the impression that there is a further one off Swine Hill to the SE of the college. I have seen photos (on the web) which show 2 different turrets and a report from a Canadian college student who visited the one off Swine Hill. Not sure if this is all conjecture and Chinese whispers. Would also be glad of your help with any info - locations of the others you have on record. I have only recently started to track the AW turrets and have found it to be like chasing fireflies with the turrets changing hands quite regularly and/or just disappearing.
Once again many thanks
Jan

Allen-Williams Turrets 24 Oct 2014 11:42 #26

• deprecated
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56
I've not come across another at Harlaxton (but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't any).

You are right about them just disappearing (scrap value? collectors? false reports?).

First stop for locations would be the Defence of Britain Project database ( http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives ). I would also suggest you look at Steve Thompson's WWII Google Earth Overlay ( https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/AACteBpWdbFTb2lLvUGfx1gRa/edob?dl=0 ) as it plots the rough positions of those in the original Defence of Britain Project Database as well as some others that have come to light since then.
I'll try and pull my own notes/photos together but it not be for a few days as I have several hundred road block positions in Caernarfonshire to decipher first.

(Steve is known as 'cptpies' on here)

Allen-Williams Turrets 27 Oct 2014 13:05 #27

• IanDDavidson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 87

Iain Taylor;152348 wrote: I've not come across another at Harlaxton (but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't any).

You are right about them just disappearing (scrap value? collectors? false reports?).

First stop for locations would be the Defence of Britain Project database ( http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives ). I would also suggest you look at Steve Thompson's WWII Google Earth Overlay ( https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/AACteBpWdbFTb2lLvUGfx1gRa/edob?dl=0 ) as it plots the rough positions of those in the original Defence of Britain Project Database as well as some others that have come to light since then.
I'll try and pull my own notes/photos together but it not be for a few days as I have several hundred road block positions in Caernarfonshire to decipher first.

(Steve is known as 'cptpies' on here)

Another here, near Worth Matravers.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=68697

Its on East Man. If you browse around the photos associated with this grid you should find the familiar orange dome.

And one on the South bank of the Kennet and Avon Canal near Padworth

http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=150534

I'll try to get a photo of this one in the next week or so.

Ian

Allen-Williams Turrets 28 Oct 2014 08:44 #28

• cptpies
Ian I'd be very interested in an accurate location for the one at Padworth too. It's not recorded in the original DoB or the EDoB.

Download the latest version of the EDoB from here www.dropbox.com/sh/bvqoezihsx997yj/AABRo...kyApwIm6oF9foqa?dl=0

Allen-Williams Turrets 03 Oct 2015 20:40 #29

• netcompsys
  • Thank you received: 601

kevin

Allen-Williams Turrets 02 Nov 2015 21:47 #30

• RichardF

An ALLAN-WILLAMS turret I saw just yesterday on the North Norfolk coast at Cley-on-the-Sea, buried in a earth "sea wall'. There is no litter in it, it hasn't been used as a toilet and it was a real find I thought. But no, it's listed in Wikipedia! The notice claims 199 were built and you all know the rest of the story I'm sure. It stands out like a 'pimple on a haystack'! One well aimed large calibre shot would have sent into into the marshland behind I'm sure.....Great to find it anyway, and in good condition. One other brick pill box on the beach is being smothered by the movement of the beach shingle. Will disappear for good in the near future....
Sorry, don't know why the pics have rotated, will leave it to you to sort it out. Have tried editing without any success, will only lose them completely!

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds