Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 08 May 2013 22:11 #101

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15
These need to be added to the list,
Pembrey, 3 x Blenheim type 7151/41
Portreath 6 x Blenheim, 6 x Hurricane, no type given on RSP

Added info for these,
Predannack Down, 8 x Blenheim type 11070/40 and 4 x Hurricane type 11070/40
Angle 6 x 7151/41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Thomas

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 13 Jun 2013 16:18 #102

• Psychopost
  • Thank you received: 0
A couple of the Andreas fighter pens (type B i assume). More on the Andreas airfield thread.

[IMG]/community/127421=12743-Fighter pen 3 s.jpg

[IMG]/community/127421=12744-Fighter pen and shelter s.jpg

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 26 Dec 2013 17:05 #103

• Dobbins
  • Thank you received: 7
I've just watched the beginning of Battle of Britain and noticed completely different pill boxes on Duxford's fighter pens.

This pen has been lost...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This pen still exists...

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 27 Dec 2013 19:01 #104

• cptpies
I think these are loopholed walls rather than complete pillboxes, they are the only examples I know of attached to Type A Dispersal Pens and a couple were recorded by the original DoB. All other extant examples are attached to Type B Pens.

Download the latest version of the EDoB from here www.dropbox.com/sh/bvqoezihsx997yj/AABRo...kyApwIm6oF9foqa?dl=0

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 27 Dec 2013 21:11 #105

• Bradlad
Not sure which type you are specifically discussing but the recently closed Church Fenton has extant, unmolested pens on the Eastern edge of the airfield, not been close to them for a while but they are still visible on Google Earth.

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 02 Jul 2014 19:29 #106

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 142
I've been trying to build the single and twin-engine versiopns of the Type B Fighter pen using AM Dwg. 7161/41 (FCW 4513).
Annoyingly, the drawing misses out certain important dimensions and includes one particular item that simply can't exist... ;)

Here's where I've got to so far, single-engine pen in this case:

(Ignore the unusual markings on the P-47s, that's my half-finished model of the 401BG formation observation hack that I happened to have handy for scale.)

Paul Bellamy
Archive & Collections Manager
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 02 Jul 2014 19:51 #107

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 391
Paul the drawing your using is full size 1/8 in to 1 foot (from the archive) so any missing dimensions can be worked out using an old rule.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 02 Jul 2014 20:06 #108

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I'll have to pull the full-size version then, I'm using the smaller copy with your pencilled notes on it. ;)

Paul Bellamy
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 02 Jul 2014 20:21 #109

• Guest_1
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 155
Or head off to Kingscliffe with a tape measure.

"Gentleman, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

Aircraft Dispersals / Fighter Pens / Aprons / Aircraft Servicing Platforms 03 Jul 2014 00:59 #110

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

mawganmad;124980 wrote: For scale I'm using the runway widths as a guide, ie if the pen has the same span as the runway width (150 ft generally) it's a twin engined type, if slighty greater than 3/4rs of the width its a smaller single engined type - would this be correct?

For Type B pens, the easiest way is to check the length of the central dividing arm, as in most cases either the banking or the retaining walls will survive.

Measuring from the retaining wall by the shelter entrances to the front of the banking:
60' = Single-engine pen
78' = Twin-engine pen

Paul Bellamy
ARG Archive, Alconbury
Time to create page: 0.676 seconds