Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 03 Feb 2010 08:30 #21

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 342
The SBC didn't have doors. There were (three?) restraint bars running crosswise which were hinged at one end only the other end locked by a release linkage. The container was loaded on it back using spacers dependent on the bomb type being loaded then the bars swung closed and locked. When turned over the contents were restrained. The whole container was lifted into the bomb bay and secured.

I've got details somewhere but file management was never my strong point!

There's an image on this site for installed SBCs part of a mixed load in a Lancaster. The other pics are nice too.

http://www.bint-family.com/bomber%20command%20photo%20gallery.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 16 Feb 2010 22:55 #22

• Grp. Capt. Buggernuts
  • Grp. Capt. Buggernuts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So. At the end of all this. Do we have any idea about their construction and drawing numbers so I can model these things?
Would the cansters stored here contain leaflets to drop over enemy territory or were they shovelled through the "window" chute? They then wouldn't contain explosives and the building wouldn't have to have distances on the plans.

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 17 Feb 2010 05:32 #23

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SBC's could be used for leaflet drops but, more usually, they were dropped in bundles through the Flare Chute and scattered by the slipstream.

Regardless of what was actually stored in a 'licensed danger' building' if it was intended to be used for the storage of any type of munition, including Ready Use (loaded) SBCs it would have been sited with regard to a specified safety distance dependent on the type and NEC (net explosive content) of the explosive to be stored. This meant that if it was already there and there was a requirement for new structures nearby they had to be built outside the safety distance radius.

But, be warned, Record Site Plans do not always show safety distances as 'circles/ellipses around danger buildings and there are many cases were exceptions to allowing some structures withing the radius.

One AM Drawing for a Small Bomb Container Store is DG of W 1929/43. The building is a bog standard Temporary Brick Construction with standard 18 foot span steel roof trusses giving a pitched roof with Asbestos Cement roofing sheets. What makes it an SBC Store are pre-cast 'stepped' concrete blocks laid lengthwise parallel but slightly away from the walls internally. This allowed SBCs to be stood on end on the blocks and leaned against the wall for storage. The wall actually had 1-1/2 inch dia steel pipe held by brackets fasted to the wall for the SBC to lean on. Also, provision was made for SBCs to be stored laterally on battens along floor.

PM me for more details.

However, just realised that your above post may be referring to AA & E huts?

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 17 Feb 2010 12:18 #24

• kebecker
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
The pics Graham posted look like stills from one of the Raf at war DVD. There is a short film on arming a bomber. I suppose I should watch it again and pay attentionhis time!!

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 19 Feb 2010 11:27 #25

• Grp. Capt. Buggernuts
  • Grp. Capt. Buggernuts's Avatar Topic Author
:-D That's one! I found one! Hallehlujah! It's There!!!:-D
There is an A.A.E. Hut under the Halifax in the picture posted by Woodster in post #17 here http://airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?t=3925&page=2 . This one's at RAF Burn and of Nissen type. Probably are other types depending on contractor and airfield! But there's one there!!!

It's the little things in life......!:lol:

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 13 Sep 2010 12:12 #26

• LankyPete
Just a passing comment,

Whilst there are no A.A.E huts left at RAF Riccall, the line of blast banks for the now demolished S.B.C. huts do survive.

:)

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Aircraft Armament Equipment Hut 14 Sep 2010 09:25 #27

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
LankyPete, some of the captions on your drawing are incorrect and the earth banks in you photos are something else.

PM me and I will give you the information.

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds