Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Balloon Filling Hut

Balloon Filling Hut 05 Aug 2011 11:43 #21

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 401
Missing measurement are easy once you have a few correct ones. Brick counting is usually reasonably accurate although better with bigger buildings.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Balloon Filling Hut 13 Aug 2011 09:36 #22

• Resmoroh
  • Thank you received: 0
Re post #19. Most small cloud-base met balloons were filled IN the store. If anyone needs to know how/what was done, I'll be happy to oblige.
HTH
Resmoroh
Meteorology is a Science. Good Meteorology is an Art

Balloon Filling Hut 14 Aug 2011 06:54 #23

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343

Resmoroh;81324 wrote: Re post #19. Most small cloud-base met balloons were filled IN the store. If anyone needs to know how/what was done, I'll be happy to oblige.
HTH
Resmoroh

Yes please. I should have thought that, once inflated' it would be a problem getting them out through the door without puncturing them.

The type of balloon that I recall were fairly thick skin (compared to toy balloons) and were orange in colour and would inflate to about a metre diameter although for met use they were part inflated to allow for expansion during ascent. I do know from personal experience(1960) that, if self adhesive tape is applied to the outside and then an attempt is made to remove it, the balloon will burst.

Balloon Filling Hut 14 Aug 2011 11:25 #24

• Resmoroh
Peter, I've sent you a PM
Resmoroh

Balloon Filling Hut 22 Aug 2011 21:04 #25

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 145
The site of Deenethorpe's Balloon Filling Hut 3382/41, note the pit taking up most of the floor:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.

All the best,
PB
Paul Bellamy
Archive & Collections Manager
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Balloon Filling Hut 07 Sep 2011 00:36 #26

• P Bellamy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 145
Does anyone know what this lowered section of the floor was for?
Paul Bellamy
Archive & Collections Manager
ARG Archive, Alconbury

Balloon Filling Hut 07 Sep 2011 11:51 #27

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 401
My first though was a gas sump for heavier than air gas to be "drained" away but that would have made no sense given the purpose of the gas:)

My one and only time in an ocean going yatcht required the bilges to be emptied before setting off to remove water and gas (propane).
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Balloon Filling Hut 06 Oct 2011 12:34 #28

• Resmoroh
This so called "gas sump" is very puzzling. I have been trying to work out how many airfields I used hydrogen filled balloons on in my early days as a Met Man. It must be near 20 (and some - Lerwick and Crawley, etc - used the very large radiosonde balloons). The Filling Hut(s) were not always of a standard pattern. But in not one do I remember seeing any "sump" such as is described at Deenethorpe. Now Deenethorpe was built (so I'm informed by Willis & Holliss) in 1943 for the USAAF. The USAAF may have had different regulations for compressed gases? Alternatively, as it closed in 1946 (W & H) the "sump" may have been a possible amendment to the original hut. The hut would make a fine pig-sty! The "sump" could have been covered with some sort of slatted floor so that the large porcine lady was not lying in her own 'muck'!!! Happy as a Pig in Sh1t!!!!
HTH
Resmoroh

Balloon Filling Hut 24 Dec 2011 20:55 #29

• Karl H
  • Karl H's Avatar Topic Author
When I visited Rivenhall with Denis a number of years back, we noticed that there was a small addition to one end of the NFE hut. This addition had a pit in the floor. This annex (for lack of a better term) is about 6 feet square, a door in one side, a window in the opposite wall, has a pit like the one Paul has noted, and is part of the array of buildings around the tower. There is no opening from the annex to the NFE hut proper. I have come to suspect that this was the balloon filling hut at Rivenhall. Most unusual, but certainly not impossible. What do you guys think? Here are a couple of photos. It was pretty well overgrown at the time.

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by Peter Kirk.

Balloon Filling Hut 24 Dec 2011 21:59 #30

• Denis
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
And I even took a photo through the window frame of the pit, but cannot find it anywhere in the Rivenhall archive on my hard drive.
I do remember Karl and I wondering what the purpose of this annexe was, Rivenhall plans anyone?

Time to create page: 0.397 seconds