Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1950s USAF Airfield Buildings

1950s USAF Airfield Buildings 14 Aug 2014 17:16 #11

• Thank you received: 23
I have tagged this onto this old thread as I could not find anything similar.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Above is a Google Earth image of the bomb stores at RAF Wethersfield.
Similar layouts can be found at most of the other USAF bases.

Can anyone tell me the approximate year these buildings were Constructed?
Were the individual Igloos built at the same time as the block of seven Igloos or were these igloo blocks a later update, if so, when were they built?

Molesworth and Shepherds Grove for example look to follow the same rough layout as Wethersfield but do not have the igloo block which makes me wonder if they were added afterwards.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1950s USAF Airfield Buildings 14 Aug 2014 18:52 #12

• superplum
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1

698;149194 wrote: I have tagged this onto this old thread as I could not find anything similar.

Above is a Google Earth image of the bomb stores at RAF Wethersfield.
Similar layouts can be found at most of the other USAF bases.

Can anyone tell me the approximate year these buildings were Constructed?
Were the individual Igloos built at the same time as the block of seven Igloos or were these igloo blocks a later update, if so, when were they built?

Molesworth and Shepherds Grove for example look to follow the same rough layout as Wethersfield but do not have the igloo block which makes me wonder if they were added afterwards. Thanks.

The "bomb stores" you refer to are in fact the original Weapon Storage Area (WSA) facilities which were constructed mid-50's These were separate (albeit adjacent) to the Munitions Storage Areas (MSA) which were conventional bomb stores. The blocks of igloos were later additions (dates unknown (late 60's/early 70's ?)) resulting from changes to weapon types.

1950s USAF Airfield Buildings 14 Aug 2014 20:20 #13

superplum;149198 wrote: The "bomb stores" you refer to are in fact the original Weapon Storage Area (WSA) facilities which were constructed mid-50's These were separate (albeit adjacent) to the Munitions Storage Areas (MSA) which were conventional bomb stores. The blocks of igloos were later additions (dates unknown (late 60's/early 70's ?)) resulting from changes to weapon types.

Thank you for that information.
It would make sense that these latter types were additions.
Although Wethersfield closed in 1970 I guess they would still have needed to store current airforce weapons for as long as it was operational.
Also the base remained in USAF hands for another 20 years so there was the option for further storage if needed.
That part of the airfield was always well lit at night, that I do remember.

1950s USAF Airfield Buildings 15 Aug 2014 17:54 #14

superplum;149198 wrote: The "bomb stores" you refer to are in fact the original Weapon Storage Area (WSA) facilities which were constructed mid-50's These were separate (albeit adjacent) to the Munitions Storage Areas (MSA) which were conventional bomb stores. The blocks of igloos were later additions (dates unknown (late 60's/early 70's ?)) resulting from changes to weapon types.

After a bit of research today I have come to the conclusion that the dates of both types of igloos being built coincide with the Mk7 and B61 bomb service dates.
As far as Wethersfield is concerned the Mk7 for the F84 and F100 and then the smaller B61 for the F100.

Possibly B61 stocks were held, or at least that capability was there if needed, in later years, after the base ceased flying

Rightly or wrongly!

1950s USAF Airfield Buildings 15 Aug 2014 19:03 #15

• superplum
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1

698;149254 wrote: Possibly B61 stocks were held, or at least that capability was there if needed, in later years, after the base ceased flying

Rightly or wrongly!

Wrongly(!) - that scenario doesn't happen.

1950s USAF Airfield Buildings 15 Aug 2014 20:00 #16

superplum;149258 wrote: Wrongly(!) - that scenario doesn't happen.

You are undoubtedly correct.
Through the mid eighties I used to drive past there in the evenings wondering why all the flood lights were on.
The buildings were probaly full of surplus US airforce boots!

I do find it interesting trying to find/work out what purpose buildings had on airfields.:)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds