Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Air-Raid Shelter Identification?

Air-Raid Shelter Identification? 23 Feb 2015 19:14 #1

• Paul Francis
  • Paul Francis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 391
Can anyone identify this shelter please (no its not a Stanton), its a shelter that looks like one but is not!

Attached files [IMG]/community/157359=21398-stanton look alike.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Air-Raid Shelter Identification? 23 Feb 2015 23:24 #2

• Alex Brown
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Well it's not Ruck sections so I will have to pass!

Yes, I'm back(ish).

Air-Raid Shelter Identification? 24 Feb 2015 01:03 #3

• leftorium
  • Thank you received: 0
I now default to sectional shelters when describing these. Stanton for shelters has become the equivalent of Hoover for vacuum cleaners.
Stanton themselves made more than one profile of section and even shelters that were tubular (for commercial and civilian applications mainly).

The larger shelters on Stanton's own site would not have been identified as Stantons at all as they are atypical half tubes on a cut and cover square lower section.

I've seen at least four profiles of sectional shelters and unfortunately none have had any distinguishing manufacturers marks so you may struggle to get a definitive answer

Air-Raid Shelter Identification? 24 Feb 2015 09:04 #4

• Paul Francis
  • Paul Francis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 391
Sure, we have many brochures, pamphlets and books on shelters and ARP in the archives, but I cannot find this one. There are many that are similar but never exact. We also have a blueprint of the arched Stanton from that company.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Air-Raid Shelter Identification? 24 Feb 2015 09:13 #5

• Harboda77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Crendon Concrete produced reinforced shelters that kick started their precast farm buildings structures which became very popular during the late 1940's up to the 1960's. ( I believe they went out of business around 1990. )

I heard the early constructions referred too as ' concretecrux ' ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.694 seconds