Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Definitive List of Used and Disused Airfields in the UK

Definitive List of Used and Disused Airfields in the UK 20 May 2017 11:18 #1

• GFletcher
  • GFletcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
As some of you know I am trying to compile a list of every airfield and seaplane base in the UK. One of the problems that I keep on finding is the various names for a site. A possible solution is to get people to agree on a common format like the following:

Location - nearest village
Location - nearest town (over say 5,000 inhabitants)
Longitude and Latitude (not National Grid reference) - based on location of the threshold of the main runway
Alternative names (including ones it is known by)

This would help in making sure that duplicate sites are not listed.

Any thoughts on the above and how one can persuade people to use such a structure?

It would also good if a way could be found to persuade map publishers to be consistent in showing all used airfields, and not just a selection, either all or just those with scheduled services.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Carnaby. Reason: typos

Definitive List of Used and Disued Airfields in the UK 20 May 2017 11:47 #2

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 388
From my research on ranges there are three issues:

1) One is the official name which can be more than one over time.
2) Contemporary unofficial names used in official communications eg ORB
3) Name used by locals, mainly unaware of the official name(s) and these can be throughout the life of the location.

From this I have deduced that I should record all three so that someone searching for a particular name will find an entry which may be the actual record or just a pointer to the actual record. By its nature this approach will almost certainly be incomplete but a grid reference will help confirm they have the right location.

As much as you try to convince people that a certain base was never known by the name they use it will not change their minds.

As an example, range related though, the extant direction arrow on Brean Down has caused Brean Down to be used as the name of the bombing range. It wasn't. It also wasn't Stert Flats or even Stert North, all within spitting distance, but was called Berrow Flats and closed down during the war! Airfields, military or civil have the same issue but I should allow for someone looking for Brean Down otherwise I will be told I missed one out.

Hope that helps.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Definitive List of Used and Disued Airfields in the UK 20 May 2017 14:40 #3

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 397
It sounds like the list is of open aerodromes - it will be quite short then. I had thought there should be an up to date list for all airfields etc. If such a list was compiled, the following may help:

I would rather see a National Grid reference of the centre of the site. Lat and Long to me is meaningless

The best list to date is the Merseyside Aviation Society lists, first complied in the 1960s - at least one version had a fold-out map which was / is superb, Edited by ARG member Phil Butler but this uses Lat and Long, they also have an alternative name list

I would be careful using the word definitive for such a list as it won't be.

There is a need to define the titles 'airfield', 'aerodrome', 'landing ground', 'airport', 'farm strip' 'heliport', 'seaplane station', 'balloon station', 'airship station' etc. Some of these may need sub-groups such as AA LG and RFC LG

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Definitive List of Used and Disued Airfields in the UK 02 Jul 2018 09:28 #4

• TerryClark
  • Thank you received: 32
www.ukairfieldguide.net
But be careful; it's use can be habit forming.:ohmy:

Last Edit: by TerryClark.

Definitive List of Used and Disued Airfields in the UK 02 Jul 2018 11:12 #5

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 371
Its a great website but alot of duplication as well.

There is also much use of speculated sites with no definite locations either.

I like it for reference and use it alot but it is by no means definitive.

Cheers

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds