New ARG Chairman
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wardens Houses

Wardens Houses 16 Oct 2017 12:34 #1

• Arrow28
  • Arrow28's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I see in the past there have been various references to wardens houses, but I can find very little information about them.

A friend of mine lived in one at Rissington, but that was demolished in the mid 80's.All the ones at Kemble are long gone,but others remain at Aston Down and Hullavington.

Question is, when were they built(some look post war) and what was the rationale behind them? I am assuming they were mostly at MU's and ground installations such as radar stations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wardens Houses 16 Oct 2017 16:30 #2

• mbriscoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 346
I have never seen any mention in books about radar, I presume it was the early Chain Home sites built before WWII started and perhaps not full staffed which would explain the "warden" in the name usually used.

There is a row of houses at RAF Lossiemouth that look very similar which suggests it was a standard design.

Wardens Houses 16 Oct 2017 16:39 #3

• mbriscoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 346
Just looking in Signal 1939-1945

It mentioned various responsibilities including "provision and employment of RAF police and Air Ministry wardens..."

Last Edit: by mbriscoe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds