Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ?

Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ? 29 Jun 2018 20:14 #1

• Bloodhound1949
  • Bloodhound1949's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 65
I have just been looking at Michael.J.F.Bowyer's book,"Force for Freedom"-He refers to some RB 45 Tornadoes in RAF markings,I am familiar with these but he also states that several RB 36 aircraft were also observed flying from Sculthorpe in British markings...Has anyone else heard this story ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bloodhound1949.

Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ? 29 Jun 2018 21:35 #2

• netcompsys
  • Thank you received: 649
This story has been doing the rounds of various discussion boards since at least 2001 with no evidence actually offered and seems to have derived from a published story about RB-45's which used the phrase "apparantly" when mentioning RB-36"s
kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bloodhound1949

Last edit: by netcompsys.

Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ? 07 Jul 2018 11:34 #3

• Ian B
  • Thank you received: 7
From what I understand, the peacemaker was never stationed at Sculthorpe, only visiting to basically show off..
And that they only visited in 1951....Jiu Jitsu took place in 52-54.
Hovever I did here that one kb-29 re fueller was in RAF markings, but I never seen a picture or heard it anywhere else other than this one source.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bloodhound1949

Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ? 08 Jul 2018 11:41 #4

• TerryClark
  • Thank you received: 44

Ian B wrote: From what I understand, the peacemaker was never stationed at Sculthorpe, only visiting to basically show off..
Hovever I did here that one kb-29 re fueller was in RAF markings, but I never seen a picture or heard it anywhere else other than this one source.

B29 Bombers (Washingtons) appeared in RAF markings from 1950 until 1954 as a 'stopgap' until replaced by Canberras.
Some were retained on 'other duties' (not bombers) until 1958.
A total of 88 were delivered to the RAF (both roles)
I never heard of an RAF re-fuelling version.

Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ? 09 Jul 2018 12:45 #5

• Ian B
  • Thank you received: 7

TerryClark wrote:

Ian B wrote: From what I understand, the peacemaker was never stationed at Sculthorpe, only visiting to basically show off..

B29 Bombers (Washingtons) appeared in RAF markings from 1950 until 1954 as a 'stopgap' until replaced by Canberras.
Some were retained on 'other duties' (not bombers) until 1958.
A total of 88 were delivered to the RAF (both roles)
I never heard of an RAF re-fuelling version.

Only heard this from one local chap regarding RAF markings.

Sculthorpe, Convair RB-36 in R.A.F. markings ? 11 Jul 2018 00:54 #6

• TerryClark
  • Thank you received: 44
RB36 in RAF markings implies they were being flown by RAF aircrew. Now whilst this certainly happened with the RB45s (although it was denied for years - I first saw it mentioned with a photo in a magazine called 'RAF Flying Review' in the early '60s) as there were I think only 4 crewmembers, would the RAF have had sufficent personnel to go to the USA and train as crews for RB36s? I don't know how many crew they carried but I bet it was about 10 or 12.

Last edit: by TerryClark.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds