Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Third-party content and links

ARGL accept no responsibility for the accuracy of third-party content or links, or your reliance on any information contained within any such content available through our site. The comments published on ARGL Forum represent a wide range of views and interests of the participating individuals and organisations. Statements made during online discussions are the personal opinions of the commentators and do not necessarily reflect those of ARGL or any of our sponsors. ARGL at all times and at its absolute discretion, reserves the right to remove reasonably offensive comments in line with our Moderation Guidelines and forum rules.
Read More...

TOPIC: Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 29 Aug 2018 04:28 #21

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Strictly speaking, Macrihanish was a NATO air base rather than being allocated to a particular country.
Add Twinwoods Farm?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 29 Aug 2018 13:03 #22

• Dan Hardy
  • Thank you received: 34
Slightly late to this thread, but is it worth adding Framlingham and Ridgewell to the list, as T2 hangars at each site were used post war for storage by the USAF (for Bentwaters and Wethersfield respectively). Indeed, the hangar at Framlingham still has the MOD signs at either end.

Last edit: by Dan Hardy.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 30 Aug 2018 09:20 #23

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Does anyone know what exactly the USAF were going to use airfields such as East Fortune for?

And I know that Cottesmore was earmarked for KC135 use should the balloon have gone up, and IIRC Leeming was earmarked for USAF F4s.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 30 Aug 2018 11:45 #24

• Bloodhound1949
  • Thank you received: 73
Michael J.F Bowyer states in his excellent book,"Force for Freedom" that under project "Galloper" of 1950 it was intended to reinforce the UK with four Fighter wings of either F84s or F86 Sabres.East Kirkby,Spilsby,Sturgate and Wigsley were found to be suitable for development but as a temporary measure it was intended to base Sabres at East Fortune,but the runway was too short and they were not deployed there.
I have a copy of the above book which I no longer require and would be prepared to sell

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

Last edit: by Bloodhound1949.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 30 Aug 2018 14:53 #25

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

canberra wrote: Does anyone know what exactly the USAF were going to use airfields such as East Fortune for?

And I know that Cottesmore was earmarked for KC135 use should the balloon have gone up, and IIRC Leeming was earmarked for USAF F4s.

Leeming wasn't 'upgraded' for fighters until the early '80s' I was there for a course in 1979 and it was still flying training.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 30 Aug 2018 14:59 #26

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
F35s could still use what is left of North Luffenham, they don't need public roads to operate from.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 31 Aug 2018 10:21 #27

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On the subject of Leeming, yes it wasnt upgraded until the mid to late eighties. However it was earmarked for USAF F4s, that was one of the reasons why an ANG F4 squadron deployed there in the early eighties.

And the original plan for the F3s was for them to go to Middleton St George. No Im not making that up. I read about that in a book on the F3.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 31 Aug 2018 11:42 #28

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

canberra wrote: On the subject of Leeming, yes it wasnt upgraded until the mid to late eighties. However it was earmarked for USAF F4s, that was one of the reasons why an ANG F4 squadron deployed there in the early eighties.

And the original plan for the F3s was for them to go to Middleton St George. No Im not making that up. I read about that in a book on the F3.

MSG became Teeside Airport in about '64, long before Tornados were even on the drawing board; you sure the reference wasn't to Lightning F3s (real Lightinings not the new ones) rather than Tornado F3?
They had Lightings there before the RAF moved out.

Last edit: by TerryClark.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 08 Sep 2018 12:49 #29

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No Im not getting mixed up with the Lightning F3, although I should have said Tornado F3.

In the book a former Leeming station commander(Group Captain Phil Roser), says that when he was at MOD he submitted a paper on what was called in the early eighties the "fighter gap" between Leuchars and Binbrook. He proposed that the RAF should enter in to a "joint user" agreement with Teesside airport and base the Tornado ADV there. The lord alone knows how much that would have cost! Im susrprised he also didnt suggest moving the Leuchars Phantoms to Turnhouse.

Post war USAF/USAFE Airfields in the UK 09 Sep 2018 10:21 #30

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Im curious as to why the USAF would have wanted to use East Fortune, surely Turnhouse or Leuchars would have been a better choice?

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds