Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Airfield - Definitions

Airfield - Definitions 01 Aug 2016 19:33 #1

• GFletcher
  • GFletcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
When is an airfield not an airfield?
Can Microlight sites be included as an airfield; what about gliding sites or airships or 'decoy' airstrips? I would include them, especially as many of them were 'proper' airfields originally.
How does one define a seaplane 'airfield'?
How does one 'verify' that an airfield did exist?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Airfield - Definitions 01 Aug 2016 22:59 #2

• WJT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
An interesting question - when is an airfield not an airfield? I suppose the answer must be when it is an aerodrome.

I suggest a search on Definitions will bring up all the threads on the site which tackle the topic.

Perhaps we need something in the research area to serve as a Glossary where we hold the various accepted [or not accepted] definitions of our trade.

Airfield - Definitions 01 Aug 2016 23:03 #3

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 371

WJT wrote: An interesting question - when is an airfield not an airfield? I suppose the answer must be when it is an aerodrome.

I suggest a search on Definitions will bring up all the threads on the site which tackle the topic.

Perhaps we need something in the research area to serve as a Glossary where we hold the various accepted [or not accepted] definitions of our trade.

A glossary is a great idea, something I have always thought would be a great asset to the new ARG website, also include abbreviations as that Could benefit loads of us.

Airfield - Definitions 01 Aug 2016 23:15 #4

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 259
You need to read Mr Fletcher's article in AR152 !

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Airfield - Definitions 01 Aug 2016 23:31 #5

• WJT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Airfield - Definitions 02 Aug 2016 06:19 #6

• Dietmar Morley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 150

Richard Flagg wrote:

WJT wrote: An interesting question - when is an airfield not an airfield? I suppose the answer must be when it is an aerodrome.

A glossary is a great idea, something I have always thought would be a great asset to the new ARG website, also include abbreviations as that Could benefit loads of us.

A fabulous idea. Are you volunteering to put something together?

If you were to put something on the the forum we could develop it for a page on the main site.

Airfield - Definitions 03 Aug 2016 05:53 #7

• MikeO
  • Thank you received: 13
Here's something I wrote in Airfield Review many moons ago.
What’s in a name?

If we had existed in the 1930’s, we should no doubt have called ourselves “The Aerodrome Research Group”, rather than “The Airfield Research Group”.

And while we are on the subject of fashions in technical terminology, how, why and when was it, that aeroplanes became aircraft?

I recently stumbled upon the answer in an Admiralty file, at the Public Records Office, when researching something entirely different. A letter, dated 3rd November 1942, from the Offices of the War Cabinet, addressed to the Private Secretary to the First Lord of the Admiralty, says the following:-

“The Prime Minister has expressed the wish that in future, the words aircraft and airfields should be used instead of aeroplanes and aerodromes.

I would be grateful if steps could be taken to comply with the Prime Minister’s wish so far as concerns your Department.

I am writing in similar terms to other Departments who have much occasion to use these terms.

Yours sincerely,

E.E. Bridges”

Early in 1943 came the ruling that the area used for the operation of seaplanes was to be described as a “seaplane base”.

A letter dated 15th June 1943 authorised the additional term “airport” but emphasised that the British would definitely not use the word “airdrome”, that was in vogue with the USAAF at the time.

So it seems that Winston Churchill really liked to get into the nitty-gritty detail, (or whatever they called that at the time).

Airfield - Definitions 02 Jul 2018 09:18 #8

• TerryClark
The CAA have a generic definition which basically says :
An aerodrome is any area of land or water set aside for the safe landing and takeoff of aircraft.
Not the exact wording but as close as I can remember.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds