Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: RNAS Lights Config

RNAS Lights Config 27 Jun 2018 09:03 #1

• jpfive
  • jpfive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anyone got information about runway and approach lighting configuration on RNAS airfields in the cold war. What I just know is that runways got 2 rows of threshold lighting but don t know if they were both white or green/red and approach lighting had got some sort of halogen lighting placed on the side of the runway similar to a box with 4 of them on each side.

I will appreciate if somebody got some information about these.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RNAS Lights Config 03 Jul 2018 21:11 #2

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 259
I'm not sure what you're describing above, but since Brawdy, Lossiemouth and Yeovilton were all V-bomber dispersal airfields, they would have had standardized NATO lighting typical of the period. I suspect by the 1960s ground lighting experiments, which plagued the late '40s and '50s had just about gone away.

Brawdy: High Intensity Runway lighting with High Intensity Approach for rwy 20 and Standard for rwy 02 Also Runway End Ident lights, no Threshold lights.

Lossiemouth had Standard and High Intensity Approach and Runway lighting on 05/23. No Runway End or Threshold bars.

Yeovilton had Standard and High Intensity Approach and Runway lighting on 09/27. Runway End and Threshold bars were fitted.

Culdrose had Standard and High Intensity Approach, plus High Intensity Runway lights, no end markings.

All had PAPIs - Yeovilton's were 3.25 degree, rest were standard 3 degrees

Note the inconsistency with the runway start / end markers - might cause problems with pilots who liked brinkmanship!

Source: RAF En Route Supplements.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

RNAS Lights Config 04 Jul 2018 15:12 #3

• TerryClark
  • Thank you received: 32

jpfive wrote: Has anyone got information about runway and approach lighting configuration on RNAS airfields in the cold war. What I just know is that runways got 2 rows of threshold lighting but don t know if they were both white or green/red and approach lighting had got some sort of halogen lighting placed on the side of the runway similar to a box with 4 of them on each side.

I will appreciate if somebody got some information about these.

If the threshold was at the beginning of the paved surface, the green threshold lights would be across the runway and would show red in the opposite direction; if the threshold was displaced, there would be a green threshold bar either side of the runway.
'similar to a box with 4 of them each side' sounds like you're talking about PAPIs which from the ground would all show red, but for an aircraft on the correct glidepath would show 2 whites and 2 reds either side of the runway.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds