Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 18 May 2010 19:09 #21

• Ant1981
  • Thank you received: 0
Well you've got B1A and B1B there, certainly for the runway at which they're near. The other runways may well have not been lit if there's no other centres. Sometimes a second runway has been lit, could have been done from one centre that may have even been demolished. I could find out if I really wanted to, it is quite interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Military Airfield Lighting and Controls Technician. Keen photographer and quite partial to a V8 engine.

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 01 Mar 2011 18:25 #22

• CDP
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
RAF Linton-on-Ouse 'B' Centre (Feb '11)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Chris

"We either stand down or blow up - which do you want!"

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 04 Apr 2011 11:54 #23

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 395
Anyone know what the appararus room in a B Centre actually did with regards to AFL?

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 04 Apr 2011 19:52 #24

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15
The B centres convert the signals (analogue originally, then digital) from the selected commands from the A centre in the tower to switch half of the lighting of one runway.
Hence one runway might have a B1A and a B1B centre and failure warning signal in the tower's VCR panel.
A and the B centres generally have a back up power supply, ie emergancy generator.

Nice doors on that Linton example, B&Qs finest range?

James Thomas

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 04 Apr 2011 21:19 #25

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 395
Thanks MM.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 04 Apr 2011 21:27 #26

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I should have added that there are two B centres per runway each controlling one half of the lighting in case the other fails, therefor there should always be sufficient lighting remaining.

James Thomas

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 08 Apr 2011 21:13 #27

• historymadd
  • Thank you received: 1
hi everyone

just wondered if you had seenn this mawgannmad it is the from plate from an scr lighting transformer

it shows i think analogue to digital converstion by i could be wrong it could be just a transfomer circuit

pre mcs stuff

cheers

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 08 Apr 2011 21:36 #28

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 244

historymadd;72573 wrote: it shows i think analogue to digital converstion by i could be wrong

Don't think there's any ADC stuff in there historymadd, though it's a while since I was involved in electronics. I suspect it's just some form of closed-loop constant-current control. Interesting nevertheless.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 09 Apr 2011 09:03 #29

• mawganmad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Historymad, I must confess that I'm not that good with circuit diagrams!
The whole analogue/digital thing is very interesting as I remember having the sytem explained to me at Mawgan.
It was said that it had digital control from a long way back, before you would expect the use of such technology.
Is it that the command from the lighting desk and A centre to the B centre was digital, and the B centre to the lights was analogue?

Graham, are you seeing the repeated word in my post #26?!;-)

James Thomas

Airfield Lighting 'B' Control Centre 09 Apr 2011 09:24 #30

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 244
I suspect 'digital' here is not what we mean today by the term which is that an analogue signal is 'sampled and coded' before being decoded at the other end to hopefully reproduce the original signal (which it never can - but we won't go down that route!). I think what we have here is a means whereby a very low voltage / current is sent (from the control tower) to adjust the lethal high power lighting supplies in the 'B' centre.

No repeated word MM - which one do you see?. Suspect you may have a graphics problem, or one similar to that where Microsoft Word sometimes repeated the bottom line of a page to the top line of the next page, (I believe they finally fixed that one - congratulations).

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds