Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Airfield Control Caravans

Airfield Control Caravans 31 Oct 2016 21:52 #1

• MarkDownes
  • MarkDownes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I've had a look through the thread on portable control towers with interest. But my particular field of research and queries is quite specific: I am trying to find any images, specifications and documentation to do with the Airfield Control Caravans sued in the inter war period and WW2. As a rule these were caravans (as opposed to converted vehicles) operated by the Airfield Control Pilot. This is the subtly different from the Runway Controller. I have managed to find a handful of images (still and movie) and some documentation in the from of the AP129 and the AP3024.
There appear to be different chassis bases (2 or 4 wheeled) although the fittings seem to be non standard. I would be interested to know If anyone knows if the caravans were manufactured to a pattern (by a civilian contractor) and adapted on station or built from scratch on station.
Does anyone have any pictures or plans for the the caravan internal layouts?
Does anyone know what the deployment of the caravans were? Were they just used on bomber bases or did Fighter/Transport stations also use them?
Any information gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds