Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bomb Trolley

Bomb Trolley 06 Apr 2018 20:54 #1

• 39Fordson
  • 39Fordson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Good evening,

I am in the process of starting to restore what I believe to be a Type C MK1 Bomb Trolley and am looking for some assistance as I am unaware of any other examples to use as a reference because the RAF Museum has no info available, I have the manual for MK2 and MK3 models which have helped to some degree but I am struggling to confirm the precise arrangement of the leaf springs especially the rear ones as I think I am a few leafs missing.

I understand that the MK1's where converted into the rigid MK2 version.

Would anyone have a manual for the MK1 and or any photos or even know the whereabouts of one, I have had a good search of the web and have found very little to assist.

I am also on the look out for some tyres and the rear towing hitch

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Mark

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Guest_1. Reason: inserted photos

Bomb Trolley 07 Apr 2018 07:40 #2

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 319
It's decades since I saw a Type C Mk 1 around 1960. As you say most were converted to Mk 2 rigid (unsprung) version and some to Mk 3 but they were obsolescent then (inadequate load capacity) and were replaced by new build Type F. I have only the AP image of a Mk 3. Sorry.

Bomb Trolley 09 May 2018 19:03 #3

• 39Fordson
  • 39Fordson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Now I have made a start, it is starting to look like it doesn't quite conform to all the MK1's I have seen, as the front and rear cross members where round section and had the mount for the winch, where as mine is square box section and now signs of any winch mounts. It does have evidence of having bomb cradles fitted but it now has adjustable bearers, its still a bit of a mystery, I have found evidence of a data plate but it is long gone.

I have now got a centre brace made ready to weld in and then finish welding it back together, also have the material to make the missing bearer and bomb wedges. I have also managed to pick up some extra wheels and tyres.

Rain keeps me from making rapid progress along with a power cut tonight when I had a few hours spare to finish cleaning up the frame ready to be welded

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER, WILLIAMARNOLD

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds