Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: AEC Thornycroft

AEC Thornycroft 10 Mar 2011 18:07 #1

• mawganmad
  • mawganmad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15
I've been making an assumption that due to the two companies being linked through the 1950s and '60s that the chassis are basically the same, ie the AEC 6X6 would be the same as a Thorny Nubian Major, and the 4x4 the Nubian etc.
Is this right?
Can anyone relate more information about the two companies links to each other and what they offered to the military?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Thomas

AEC Thornycroft 11 Mar 2011 19:22 #2

• guzzi
  • Thank you received: 0

mawganmad;70714 wrote: I've been making an assumption that due to the two companies being linked through the 1950s and '60s that the chassis are basically the same, ie the AEC 6X6 would be the same as a Thorny Nubian Major, and the 4x4 the Nubian etc.
Is this right?
Can anyone relate more information about the two companies links to each other and what they offered to the military?

Google tells us that AEC bought the Thornycroft truck business in 1961. The only two RAF Thornys I remember, apart from the fire tenders, were both petrol engined. A flat-bed with a big generator in the back, and the five ton Coles Crane. This had a power-takeoff that drove a generator for the electrical crane motors.

AEC Thornycroft 21 Apr 2011 20:28 #3

• antarmike
There is no similarity between Chassis on AEC or Thornycroft vehicles.

One example of interchange was the trialling of the AEC 1100 AV engine as a power source for the Thornycroft Mighty Antar. This never went beyond trials though.

There was little or no other interchange of ideas or designs.

When Leyland Motors acquired AEC they now had both Thornycroft and Scammell names on the books.

At one time it was proposed that the Scammell Commander tank Transporter would be called the Thornycroft Antar Mk4, Thornycroft's design team were so involved in its development.

Thornycroft built some Scammell Products also, so the recovery gear on the Mk3 Militant recovery could be badged as either Scammell or Thornycroft.

Vehicles such as the LD44 dump truck/ Bush Tractor were sold as Scammell, AEC and even Aveling Barford.

There is a much closer tie up between Thornycroft Nubian, and Scammell built fire tenders.

AEC Thornycroft 25 Sep 2015 07:36 #4

• rangemaster
After a long time wanting to do this I finally started! A Mk 9 Thornycroft in 1/48th scale. Just an exercise in testing my abilities as Mid Devon Models are producing a commercially available model in the same scale soon.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

.Hope you like this. Its mainly plasticard sheet and some parts left over from the spares box. Its taken a year to get around to starting this, just hope I dont loose interest. mainly because this is such a popular vehicle this will lead to a satisfactory finish soon!
All the best,
Walt
PS Does anyone have any pictures of the roof? I have one I am working from but another would help.:)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds