Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Aerodrome Dryer

Aerodrome Dryer 12 May 2011 11:38 #1

• Chilly
  • Chilly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aerodrome Dryer 12 May 2011 13:00 #2

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 243
Interesting. There was a bit on TV recently in which Carol Vorderman stated that an aircraft will aquaplane on landing above a certain speed.
Speed for aquaplaning = 9 x square root of tyre pressure.
Hence if pressure = 64 psi, the critical speed is 72 knots. Not all that fast. I thought this formula was a ridiculous over-simplification, but apparently not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroplaning_%28tires%29#In_aircraft

See also http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&h=&t=83216

How do they remove surface water today?

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Aerodrome Dryer 12 May 2011 17:10 #3

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Simple answer, you dont! If the runway gets flooded (like it did at Leeming in August 90) then it gets flooded, theres not a lot you can do about it. In the Leeming incident they had a thunderstorm it was a friday evening and they had aircraft airborne doing workup for the Gulf and the runway was flooded. Not only was the runway flooded (an inch of rain fell in less than 30 minutes),but the radio in the room had a leak in the roof and the tower lost all comms. So all aircraft diverted to Leuchars, despite Waddington being nearer.

And on the subject of aquaplaing, after the runway was resurfaced at Marham in 79 we had a visit from RAE. They had a rover( I think it was a P3) fitted with a 100 gallon water tank in the boot and it would spray water in front of the car whilst they measured the runway surface for aquaplaning and also braking action.

Aerodrome Dryer 13 May 2011 07:54 #4

• Richard Drew
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 10

but the radio in the room had a leak in the roof and the tower lost all comms. So all aircraft diverted to Leuchars, despite Waddington being nearer.

Hm!!!!!!!!! no back up then.

Richard

Aerodrome Dryer 16 May 2011 06:58 #5

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 319
Not sure about aquaplaning speed formula. The Lighting mainwheel tyre pressure was over 200 psi and landing on a very wet runway was spectacular for an observer (and the poor pilot!) with the Maxaret units (anti-skid) pulsating causing the substantial main legs to visible move backwards and forwards giving the appearance of the aircraft 'running' on legs! The steam generated at the repeat contact points scalded the tyres in a signature manner.

Aerodrome Dryer 16 Jun 2011 17:03 #6

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Anyone see the Canadian grand prix on Sunday? I think they could have done with one of these machines!

Aerodrome Dryer 16 Jun 2011 19:01 #7

• Richard Drew
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Best F1 race I have seen for a long time, no real fan but I sat through it all. I know sad when I could have walked some old airfield on my own.

Richard

Aerodrome Dryer 16 Jun 2011 20:32 #8

• SimonGee
  • Thank you received: 1
Appears that Rovers were good for aquaplaning then. At the age of 19, a newly qualified driver, I found out about the ' seat of the pants ' fear and total lack of steering control during aquaplaning in my father's Rover 2000 at sixty five mph on the A.11. Not an experience I ever repeated - !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.543 seconds