Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Airfield Ground Equipment

Airfield Ground Equipment 02 Jan 2015 10:23 #161

• Paul Francis
  • Paul Francis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 391
We probably kind of new that, given its date, but the fact that is the first 1000 hr type test model is very significant. There cannot be many prototypes of other engines in existance. We have an original sales brochure for the Blackburn Palouste somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Airfield Ground Equipment 23 Jan 2015 21:49 #162

• 360ste
  • Thank you received: 0

mitrovitchp;21954 wrote: Here are some other GPU's, the first is a 25kVA Houchin, very common during the 70s and 80s. This example is with the Sea King SAR Flight at RAF Manston in 1991 and has the usual doors replaced by louvres.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The above GPU was replaced by this during the 1990s. Any information (measurements etc) would be greatfully recieved. Commonly seen with medium sized aircraft such as Jaguar, Sea King, Tornado F3 (But not the GR4 for some reason).

This GPU replaced the old 60kVA Houchin during the 1990s and is used for larger aircraft such as the Nimrod, however I have seen them on Harrier flightlines.

This GPU's output is 20 KW or 30 kva. At RAF Coningsby and at RAF Lossiemouth it was used on Tornadoes

Airfield Ground Equipment 23 Aug 2015 14:32 #163

• Selwyn
Another bomb trolley, used for WE177
the Type O bomb trolley

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Uk/We177b.jpg

Selwyn

Airfield Ground Equipment 04 Sep 2015 16:24 #164

• chris32
Re: Houchin 25 KVA GPU. I don't suppose anyone out there has any information about the electrics for this equipment. Our museum has "inherited" a Houchin 25KVa. The unit had been left unloved and unused on the airfield in all weathers for many years. A fellow volunteer has worked on the diesel engine and it now runs really well (smoke and all!). However the electrics are in a sorry state and there is no 28v, even at the service outlets on the control panel. I am making slow progress tracing out the wiring loom, so any information relating to the generator side would be really appreciated.

Airfield Ground Equipment 29 Sep 2015 22:40 #165

• chris32

chris32;163955 wrote: Re: Houchin 25 KVA GPU. I don't suppose anyone out there has any information about the electrics for this equipment. Our museum has "inherited" a Houchin 25KVa. The unit had been left unloved and unused on the airfield in all weathers for many years. A fellow volunteer has worked on the diesel engine and it now runs really well (smoke and all!). However the electrics are in a sorry state and there is no 28v, even at the service outlets on the control panel. I am making slow progress tracing out the wiring loom, so any information relating to the generator side would be really appreciated.

Update:
Success! managed to acquire most of the Manual for our Houchin 25KA and now get 28v DC and 115AC at the service outlets. However the Automatic Voltage Regulator is not fully functional. Would you believe it, the pages for that bit are missing from the manual. So if anyone has chapter 2 appendix 2 (1-2 pages) it would really help. Then we can start putting electrical power on to our Hawker Hunter, Harrier etc.

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds