Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Aberporth target barges

Aberporth target barges 09 Apr 2010 18:26 #1

• ianbache
  • ianbache's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Hi all
This barge washed up funnily enough on Taly y bont beach last year after a storm, just before i got there Qinetiq personal had arrived and took of all the sensitive equipment, but couldnt move it until the next high tide so it was left there over the weekend, before being towed back out to sea,

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Llanbedr History not to be forgotten!!!!!!!
Last Edit: by Peter Kirk. Reason: Corrected Photobucket link

Aberporth target barges 09 Apr 2010 19:50 #2

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 388
You just wanted to mention Taly y bont again.

Interesting notice on the side. It looks to be unscathed by those accurate missiles. I would have thought there would be some dents.

Actually when you think about that is quite a rare photo, unless you braveley moored up agianst it and ignored the warning.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Aberporth target barges 09 Apr 2010 21:09 #3

• ianbache
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

PNK;42992 wrote: You just wanted to mention Taly y bont again.

Interesting notice on the side. It looks to be unscathed by those accurate missiles. I would have thought there would be some dents.

Actually when you think about that is quite a rare photo, unless you braveley moored up agianst it and ignored the warning.

Your right trying to get as much info as possible re, taly y bont / dyffryn ranges,
on the subject " barges" i can hear the pilots attacking the barges on the Aberporth range freq, mainly simulated but sometimes, "Hot" with Paveway 2s and other ordnance, they give the co,ords then the aircraft attack the barge, D201 can be a very active range with many different aircraft, on many trials
your right if you park next to it you could well be in trouble, i think at that stage its time to duck !!!!!

Aberporth target barges 10 Apr 2010 11:56 #4

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 342
Nowadays, with modern attack and guidance systems for bombs etc it is possible to use offset aiming to preserve the target! The target itself is still used as the aiming point but the actual impact point of the munition as a value of distance and angle from the target has the offset deducted to give the direct hit or miss distance.

I have an photo from Song Song Range (1961) , Malaya of the High Level Bombing Target that I will post separately. You will see the target construction has changed but little.

Aberporth target barges 10 Apr 2010 12:08 #5

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 342
This was the High-Level Bombing target at Song Song Range in 1961. Used by Canberra and Victor/Valiant using 100 pound practice bombs but with an aiming off-set to prevent actual strikes on the target. Of course, from time to time it was hit. The hull was split into watertight compartments so that a hit would not sink the expensive hull. A hit would go straight through the half inch steel plate deck and exit through the hull bottom.

The two superstructure towers are acetylene lanterns with a cunning flashing capability. The large gas bottles were stacked vertically inside the cage superstructure. The target lighting was turned on when required for night bombing by taking a marine craft alongside and climbing aboard to activate the light by hand. Usually the marine craft Range Safety Launch crew did this after dropping the Range Crew on the islands.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by Peter Kirk. Reason: Corrected Photobucket link

Aberporth target barges 10 Apr 2010 20:10 #6

• ianbache
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

PETERTHEEATER;43022 wrote: Nowadays, with modern attack and guidance systems for bombs etc it is possible to use offset aiming to preserve the target! The target itself is still used as the aiming point but the actual impact point of the munition as a value of distance and angle from the target has the offset deducted to give the direct hit or miss distance.

I have an photo from Song Song Range (1961) , Malaya of the High Level Bombing Target that I will post separately. You will see the target construction has changed but little.

Hi Peter
your quite right, i hear many attacks on various targets in D201 Aberporth, they always give the target location on the range freq, over the last few years or so they have been on trials of the lighting laser pod, many aircraft have gone on to the range with either simulated or hot stores backed up by the aircraft pin pointing the position, its quite interesting listening to the different scenarios to the same target over a day

Aberporth target barges 11 Apr 2010 10:27 #7

• ww2ni
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Never seen one of these before.
Very interesting.

http://www.ww2ni.webs.com - History in your grasp!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds