Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: 603 Squadron Bombing Ranges

603 Squadron Bombing Ranges 24 Dec 2016 12:56 #11

• Granite
  • Thank you received: 5
Levenseat quarries were used, plus they've done a load of 'landscaping' in the area too, On Millers Moss, I've not found any indentations, or signs of any wartime building or structures, there are some sink holes more towards the quarry, which I thought were a possibility when I first found them, however they are natural features when I did some research.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

603 Squadron Bombing Ranges 24 Dec 2016 14:12 #12

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 367
Below is the chart extract and you can see it is difficult to pinpoint any exact location but the general area is about right. I haven't seen a copy of the slightly larger scale versions from that date to see if they included it then.

I doubt there was any Luftwaffe coverage from 1938/9 of that area as they seemed to have concentrated on the larger towns. That would have been the best hope of spotting any signs of a target.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

603 Squadron Bombing Ranges 25 Dec 2016 17:30 #13

• Granite
  • Thank you received: 5
Yeah that's sort of the area I've investigated, from the junction of the a704/6 across to levenseat and down as far as the powerlines, only things are sheep folds, a square reservoir and a couple of teeny quarries. Mind you its not the most hospitable of places so I tend to stick to sheep tracks on the bike, so there may be something somewhere, but you'd of thought there would of been an access path or the like.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds