Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Long Crendon

Long Crendon 06 Jan 2014 14:05 #1

• Harboda77
  • Harboda77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Airfields man ~ Enjoyed the 1960's picture from Church Square ( ? ) where they used hold the local dances in the Church Hall.

Its possible to see Bill Arnott's Raleigh pedal cycle sign still fixed to what became Brian's house.

I still the own the new bike that I had purchased from him in January 1963 and remember that I had to carry it home through the snow drifts.

The owner of the house behind the 30 MPH sign had asked for my assistance one night because she had locked herself out and it was well after 11:00 PM.

We were returning from a late night fire up at the Davis's and were attempting to get Brian's son home as he had over dosed on the amber nectar.

I entered her home through an open window at the rear of the property but unfortunately ripped my trousers on the window catch spike.

It was a very cold walk home with the latest in in now open crutch wear.

Writing this reminded me of another pub that used to exist between the Churchill and Eight Bells opposite side of the road to Dobwell's Stores ( ? ) and an advertizing executive who lived there with his parents worked for Proctor & Gamble and drove an old Sumbeam Alpine fitted with a super charger.

Terry ( O'Conner ? ) part exchanged the Alpine for an E Type and I believe that he purchased or ran the ' Ye Olde Thatch ' restaurant in later years.

The commonwealth development team paid him a visit one night under the name of the Bullingdon Club but this must have been after Cameron's & Johnson's time.

I noticed that the original 405 line TV ariel's are shown in the photograph so that proves it must have been before the arrival of 625 lines in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Long Crendon 06 Jan 2014 17:43 #2

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 230
You're correct about Church square and the dances. Also earlier about the coronation, there are now two blue plaques on the outside wall, 2002 and 2012.
I'll have a look tomorrow for the sign on Brason's house, Arnotts yard sign on the wall opposite.
The Hemming's owned the long white house by the 30mph sign, don't know when they left.
Whilst doing some taxi work in 2006 I was sent to the cottage just before this (Out of view) one saturday evening to pick up three elderly gentlemen and drive them to a function at the Spread Eagle in Thame. Within seconds they were joking about wearing a tin hat in the top turret :grin: this was going to be a very looong drive the two miles to Thame. Turned-out they were all aircrew from 101 squadron based at Ludford Magna. Fortunately I had a spare running sheet that night so asked them all to sign their names upon it...which they gladly did !
The pub between the Churchill and the Eight Bells opposite Dodwells stores was called the Golden Cross.

The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Long Crendon 06 Jan 2014 23:12 #3

• Harboda77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The Raleigh sign was in your 1960's photograph post and his cycle showroom is what became Brian's dining room when the property had been redeveloped some time in the mid 1960's.

Brian's son bought a cottage in Easington near to the old rising sun pub that was renamed ( Mole & Chicken on GMaps ) ~ Some of the Crendon families used to walk up to the Rising Sun on Sunday night for light refreshments. My Mother used to walk up there with the Warner's that moved from Bonnersfield to the Chersley Road. Their son had been a founder member of the Morris Dancers and Folk Club nights were a big thing in the late 1960's.

Charles Cope at the 8Bells had an old MKVII Jag and his son ( Mike ? ) had a Renault Floride Caravelle Coupe that they were rebuilding in the barn at the back of the pub.

A local historian who's name I can't remember at the moment had been compiling a book on LC and apparently they had 19 premises registered for the sale of ale when the navies were constructing the railway line between Princess Risborough and Banbury about 1905.

The old boy that ran the petrol station in the village had a yellow Hillman Imp is his show room for years.

Do you know why the name ' Madges ' is associated with BDOC as I remember Arthur telling us he was going to the back of Madges before joining us in the Bells ?

Long Crendon 07 Jan 2014 17:36 #4

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I didn't know that Brian's son (Roland) had bought a house in Easington. I got engaged at the Mole and Chick a few years ago. The rising sun was owned during the late 60s by a former navy chap who had two big black dogs, one was called Sailor the other Captain. The pub was re-named as one of the partners was called Mr Mole.
Large Mr Cope's Jag was dark green, his son Mike (Pencil) as he was tall and thin, died about 8 years ago.
Charlie Burton owned the local garage and yellow Hillman Imp.
'Madges' is where Colonel Berthon lived, it's just along from the Bells, last big chimney on the left.
It's still called this.

Long Crendon 07 Jan 2014 17:46 #5

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Incidently, we used to walk up to Chilton club many times during the early 70s, but as this didn't open til 7pm we use to call at the Rising sun that opened at 6pm. We un-officially named it the Half-way house. Regards Crendon's Church House.

/community/showthread.php?8554-WW2-Packing-station-in-Long-Crendon-Bucks .

Long Crendon 08 Jan 2014 10:34 #6

• Harboda77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Airfields man you keep bring back the memories ~ My wife has a photo of Roland, Carol & Luke outside their Easington home which must have been taken around 1977/8.

We used Chilton Club in the early 70's as they had two snooker tables that were usually available without having to wait providing you got there before 19:00.

We meet the Chilton Club manager again some time in the early 90's down at a venue called ' Blue Waters ? ' in the Camberly area on one of my colleagues news reporting assignments.

Henry Aubry Fletcher lived near the gate house entrance to Chilton House drove a Bentley Continental and I believe that his son Henry still owns the families 1960's era MK2 bodied S type Jaguar.

I came across a copy of Ambrose Bull's company letterhead early this year and he lived in the first cottage on the left as you went up Chilton Road from where the old junior school had been near the cross roads with Burts Lane.

Ambrose owned a garage at the cross roads in Kingswood on the A41 about a couple of miles down the road from RPE Westcott going in the RAF Bicester direction.

Ambrose owned a Austin Healey 100-6 and later ran a Alfa-Romeo 2 door sports that had an increadibly long name badge that began with ' Gu ' ?

Ambrose & Henry helped out with the local amature group that put on Christmas Panto's at the new secondary school built in Chilton Road along with a MR Tony Watt's who's Father had been fighter pilot during the Battle of Britian. Tony ran a glass fibre Peerless Coup with Triumph running gear and part exchanged it for a Honda S800 sports.

Long Crendon 11 Jan 2014 11:59 #7

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Long Crendon 11 Jan 2014 12:02 #8

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Long Crendon 11 Jan 2014 12:12 #9

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Long Crendon 11 Jan 2014 22:27 #10

• Harboda77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
airfieldman ~ enjoyed the ' now ' pictures and I see that Church Square in now called or may have always been called ' Wapping '.

When we lived in the village the house on your left as you took the Church House photo I can recall it catching fire ?

Pencil's Mother may have been named ' Beryl ? ' and when you entered the 8 Bells from the High Street entrance the Snug had been on the left and the public bar had been straight ahead and on the right. If you ordered a drink in the Snug bar it would cost one old penny more than in the public bar.

Beryl always kept an attractive flower display in the fire place of the snug bar and after a match at Twickenham the Padstow supporters team challenged the Cotswold horse trainers to a consumption contest. Beryl asked them to use the snug as it was nearer to the optics.

The film producer who lived up Chilton Road attempted to keep pace with them and when his legs gave way he collapsed on to the snug floor with his head in Beryl's flower display.

Thanks for the BODC link as that was interesting & informative.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds