Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...

TOPIC: Bourn

Bourn 13 May 2008 21:32 #1

• DamienB
  • DamienB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Aerial view from 2006:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Wife and other things to support - buy some [url=http://www.handmadebymachine.com/shop/]aviation photo prints and gifts[/url] or [url=http://www.handmadebymachine.com/store/]aviation-themed embroidered clothing[/url] now!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bourn 25 Jun 2008 07:01 #2

• DamienB
  • DamienB's Avatar Topic Author
Very little left to see and no memorial.

Most of Bourn's wartime buildings were prefabs or nissen huts and didn't last for long after the war. The control tower was demolished at some point too.

The big three runways are mostly intact; two have smaller sections marked out for use by the resident flying school etc. and there are numerous businesses located in and around the airfield on areas of hardstanding.
Wife and other things to support - buy some [url=http://www.handmadebymachine.com/shop/]aviation photo prints and gifts[/url] or [url=http://www.handmadebymachine.com/store/]aviation-themed embroidered clothing[/url] now!!

Bourn 18 Aug 2008 13:01 #3

• Hanglands_08
  • Thank you received: 0
Although its still active, there was surprisingly little left, but still more than Caxton Gibbet which is right next door to it.

Bourn village sign at the top of which Lancaster JB659 is depicted, was the subject of a BBC documentary a few years ago when a Dutch aircraft recovery team excavated the wreck from just west of Amsterdam where it was intended to build a marina.
The crew were given a military funeral, and the wreckage was sent to Wickenby.

Parts of JB659 were sold by the museum to raise money, you may have seen them being sold/re-sold at air shows and museums etc. Anyway, I acquired a couple of pieces and stuck a short documentary together (not knowing at the time that the Beeb had already done so).

If you care to watch my effort, its in two parts on Youtube :

Part One
Part Two

Or you can watch it in one piece on Google :

Here

Regards,

S.

Bourn 17 Mar 2009 16:06 #4

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 396
Aerial view from 14th March 2009

Bourn 08 Nov 2009 13:06 #5

• Martin Bull
Like 'Hanglands08', I became interested in the sad story of Lancaster JB659 some years ago and have visited Bourn a few times. Sadly, the nearby development of Cambourn Village and the dual-carriageway work have somehow cost Bourn much of its atmosphere.

However, I took this photo of the old runway on 30th January 2004 - the 60th Anniversary of JB659's last flight. It was a very cold and miserable day, and technically this isn't a great photo. But somehow I think that it is a fitting way to commemorate the Battle of Berlin.

Bourn 21 Jun 2010 04:11 #6

• cbrjock
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6
Bond Helicopters used to have their maintenance base here at Bourn, anyone know whether its still used or has the close proximity of Cambourn stopped all flying now?

Pete

Bourn 21 Jun 2010 07:13 #7

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 396
Still very much an active GA airfield, I've not flown in myself but I am sure alot of folks on here have done. I don't think Bond are there though, not sure where they moved to, or when they moved either.

Bourn 01 Dec 2010 19:23 #8

• Nicol
Good evening, back after a bit of a gap and looking for some information.

I'm doing some research on Bourne Airfield just outside Cambridge and have found a history of the site by Peter Rowell, Hardwick, that claims that there was a Shorts Stirling Shadow Factory (Short Sebro Ltd.) at Madingly Road, just outside Cambridge, the fuselage and wings of the Stirlings were aparently towed seperatly up to Bourne airfield and assembled there before testing.

It sounds plausible but could it just be confusion with Stirlings being based at Bourne and nearby Oakington.

Anybody know any thing about this?

Thanks

Nicol.

Bourn 01 Dec 2010 19:40 #9

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 399
all I know is that the above is definately correct. I am sure we have info on this in the archives but as they are no longer kept here I have no idea. The next time I am at the ARG archive storage facility I will check this out. Welcome back!
You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Bourn 15 Jan 2011 23:25 #10

• cambridge flyer
Shorts Sebro Ltd, was indeed off Madingley road,Cambridge.

The factory was (i think)demolished in the 60`s/70`s and in the last few years the ground was top soil was cleared construction company,
in prep for university expansion .
Nothing at all remains there now apart from a above ground shelter to the west of the main site,and a few metres to the north a few minor buildings that are now privately rented out for business .

I was tipped of by the clearance of the site and had a good few days searching the site,amazing just how much materiel remaind!

I am still going sorting through the items to this day.

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds