Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newfoundland and Labrador Musgrave Harbour

Newfoundland and Labrador Musgrave Harbour 03 Jul 2018 00:04 #1

• kebecker
  • kebecker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
July 1st is Canada Day which marks Confederation , in Newfoundland it is also Memorial Day marking the tragic loss of most of the Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont Hamel on the first day of the Somme. These memorials can be found in many small communities on the Island.

Sir Frederick Banting (insulin amongst other discoveries and innovations) died near Musgrave Harbour 21 feb 1941 when the Hudson he was traveling in en route to England suffered engine failure. Although he survived the crash he died the following day. The crash site is in the backcountry which in February is probably not a good place to be. A lot of the wreckage has been recovered and can be seen at the Banting Memorial Park together with a display of newspaper articles and a rather sorry looking replica-of a Hudson. I suspect the park has been established with local funding and the community is small but they Cared enough to build the park.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: airfields man, canberra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by kebecker.

Newfoundland and Labrador Musgrave Harbour 04 Jul 2018 15:55 #2

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 56
I was in Toronto last year for Canada day(or Dominion day as it used to be called), and I watched the 150th of confederation on the TV. They showed St Johns and it was mentioned that they dont start any Canada day celebrations until 12 noon. Before then they have the commemerations for Beaumont Hamel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kebecker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds