New ARG Chairman
Read More...

TOPIC: Wethersfield

Wethersfield 03 May 2008 16:56 #1

• jason
  • jason's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 55
On Tuesday i am planning to visit Wethersfield airfield to photograph the site, looking at my OS map it seems a huge site. Can any of you guys help me about how to gain access plus what is there left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wethersfield 03 May 2008 17:07 #2

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 290
I believe the site is now a police training site and off limits, I know there is a VGS at weekends there. It is somewhere I'd like to visit as well so if anyone can help please let us both know!

Richard

Wethersfield 03 May 2008 19:45 #3

• Denis
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Good luck!

I tried to gain access to photograph any remaining buildings for the 416th BG reunion last year. my request was put in three weeks in advance, and I received a phone call the evening before I was due there.

They do not allow any one on site equipped with a camera..full stop. I asked if there were any stock photos that could be used, or if I could be accompanied to make sure I did not photograph anything sensitive
Both requests were met with a flat refusal.

I was told by the head of security for the site, that there were no relevent buildings left from the WW2 era to photograph. What ones are left, have been heavily altered, and would not be recognisable.

Wethersfield 14 Oct 2008 20:29 #4

• Thurleigh
  • Thank you received: 0
Denis

Sounds like you came across a right 'jobs worth' there! The airfield is just outside the Stansted Control Zone and apart from the 'low flying rule' is not subject to any overflying restrictions, unless the gliders are active at Wethersfield that day. Do you have access to flying on any aircraft locally? A pleasure flight from Andrewsfield or Earls Colne would be a great way to get photographs of the remaining buildings, runways etc.

Wethersfield 18 Oct 2008 23:59 #5

• Rob31essex
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there i used to work on this base last year the base is a police training center and the guardhouse is manned 24-7 as well as the perimeter fence routinely patrolled. Naughtilly i do have about 15 pics of the base including the bomb dump, T2 hanger and control tower obviously need to know by the moderators here if its ok to post if not i can email them privately. Alot of the airfield buildings are falling into disrepair the T2 hanger is used by local gliding club and main runways are intact although one of the shorter ones surface is in bad condition. The fire dept training use the airfield over by the bomb dump as well as other buildings. The last time i heard the control tower was fenced off as it in a bad state and there was a risk of parts falling off, it had been stripped out inside. Alot of the buildings are still intact although badly maintained outside. The barracks/accom is still in use although in need of a nit of modernisation. There are still some smaller hangers than the T2 ones although i dont know what these are called which are home to the dog training section of the police. there is some nissen huts by the T2 hangers which insides are used for police training. If need to know anything else let me know. Im pretty new to this but I have a keen interest in these airfields as i used to goto to a boarding school used by snetterton airbase in 1993 and like other people and hate see them fall into dissrepair. I have a book on rivenhall airfield which is 5 mins from where i live and have visited andrewsfield and gosfield and have overlays on google for all ww2 airbases.

Many thanks.

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds