New ARG Chairman
Read More...

TOPIC: Great Dunmow

Great Dunmow 16 May 2008 19:23 #1

• jason
  • jason's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I saw this at Great Dunmow recently, it's in the middle of the airfield itself between the main runway and peri track. The rubble in the centre seems to be filling a void, any ideas as to what it is.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Great Dunmow 18 May 2008 00:29 #2

• Denis
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
If you walk around Hunsdon, or even Matching airfields, you will see many of these small plots. On Hunsdon, the farmer leaves drainage manholes clear of crops to avoid damage to tractors ect.

There are a line of similar objects, out in the fields, along the course of where the missing edge of Hunsdons main runway was.
I suspect what you have found is one of the many inspection manholes for the airfields drainage or communications pipes.
Most drainage was by french drains, especially on the edges of Hunsdons perimeter track, these being nothing more than a trench filled with 40mm stones.

Every now and again these trenches contain inspection chambers, topped with a cast iron manhole cover. But Electrics and telecommunications were laid using saltglaze pipes as a form of ducting. I would wager that if you cleared this void out, you would find an inspection chamber.

Great Dunmow 02 Aug 2009 17:45 #3

• Denis
  • Elite Member
RAF Great Dunmow (Sta.164)

Today, Jim C and I conducted a thorough walk of the Perimeter track taking note of runway headings and generally what is left of the airfield.
We gained permission to walk the peri-track from one of the landowners, after we met him on the small private road that leads towards Easton Lodge.

Over the next couple of days I shall host one or two of the more interesting images taken today.

The warning sign. not to be taken lightly I might add! The whole site is under scrutiny by the airport police from Stansted. We were told that they will stop and interrogate any one without authorised access on the airfield.

The largest piece of remaining runway. The NE/SW runway looking SW.

The road to the Bomb dump and Ammunition storage areas, turn right for the Bomb dump, left for the Ammunition store.

What I believe to be an Electrical sub station.

More later;)

Great Dunmow 07 Aug 2009 22:10 #4

• Jim C
  • Thank you received: 0
'Men Of The 386th Bomb Group Evacuate A Flooded Tent At The Group's Base At Great Dunmow, Essex, England. 3 December 1944.'
At least it was a bit drier when Denis and I visited Dunmow last week!

'Major General Lewis H. Brereton And General Dwight D. Eisenhower Are Conducted On A Inspection Tour Of The 386th Bomb Group Base At Great Dunmow, Essex, England On 11 April 1944'

'During A Colorful Ceremony On Oct. 1943, The Stars And Stripes Were Raised Over Station F-164 As The 386th Bomb Group Took Possession Of This Former English Base At Great Dunmow, Essex.'

Taken from the control tower ...'The Martin B-26 'Carefree Carolyn' Of The 386th Bomb Group Makes A Belly Landing At Its Base In Great Dunmow, Essex, England After It Had Completed Its 100th Mission On 15 June 1944.'

The same track 65 years on

Great Dunmow 08 Aug 2009 09:25 #5

• Denis
  • Elite Member

Jim C;28860 wrote: 'Men Of The 386th Bomb Group Evacuate A Flooded Tent At The Group's Base At Great Dunmow, Essex, England. 3 December 1944.'
At least it was a bit drier when Denis and I visited Dunmow last week!

It looks like the land has a history of flooding if this sign is anything to go by!

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds