• Page:

TOPIC: Hainault Farm

Hainault Farm 15 Nov 2012 19:53 #1

• REF
  • REF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 290
Posted by Guy Taylor on the Cross & Cockade Forum
http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=865&title=threat-to-original-hainault-farm-rfc-buildings

Thanks to sgtgrech for sending us the link.

Rare Surviving WW1 RFC Aerodrome buildings under development threat

The original buildings of former RFC WW1 Home Defence aerodrome, Hainault Farm, have for many years been used as industrial units. Some of the minor buildings have been demolished, but the hangars – or “aircraft sheds” as they were termed then – although modified, [principally by filling in the front openings] have retained the essence of their original construction.

Snowbird Property Ltd have now applied to Redbridge Council for permission to demolish these historic structures and replace them with a suite of modern commercial units. The planning application reference number is: 1722/12

The application, together with plans and other related documents can be viewed and downloaded from the Council's website at:

http://planning.redbridge.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPCRITERIA [click on link 1722/12]

Comments and objections can also be submitted online: http://planning.redbridge.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/wphmakerep.displayURL?ApnID=1722/12

A good personal history, which shows some of the buildings already lost fairly recently, can be found at:

http://www.prcraig.com/hainaultfarmtoday.htm

There are not many of these original buildings surviving and their historic value must be given proper consideration. If they cannot be preserved in their original context and are to be replaced, then consideration should be given to dismantling them for re-erection at a suitable heritage location [Stow Maries ?]. Failing that, a condition must be imposed on the developer, requiring them to conduct or commission a full archaeological recording.

Guy Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hainault Farm 20 Jul 2013 20:07 #2

• tc2324
  • Thank you received: 5
As some of you may remember I live about 300 yrds from the boundry of the old airfield of RAF Fairlop. This was home to various squadrons of Spitfires, Typhoons and Mustangs with the odd battle damaged B-17 dropping in for good measure.

About 600 yrds east of Fairlop`s outer boundry is what remains of the old Royal Flying Corp station Hainault Farm. This airfield, while small, provided air defense in the shape of Sopwith Camels to the eastern approches to London during the last years of World War One.

Peter Craig has an excellent website, (found in the link below), which will give you a lot more insight into Hainault Farm and saves me a lot of typing.:D (There are 6 pages to this website btw which you can navigate at the bottom of each page).

http://www.prcraig.com/hainaultfarmAerodrome.htm

So as mentioned, I`ve had a good look around Fairlop of which very little remains, but I felt better know that a large portion of the old building around Hainault Farm were still in existance even if they had been modified for purpose over the years.

That is until I saw this today.......,

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Both the Repair Hangar and A Flight hangar have now been levelled in the last couple of weeks. :(

All that remain now are B and C Flight hangars.....

..... and the old MT sheds.

If I had taken this next picture 97 years ago, I would have been standing on the flight line surrounded by some of the 20+ Sopwith Camels stationed here.

These last pictures show the areas of the landing field,

All in all, another sad day in my neck of the woods.

Hainault Farm 19 Aug 2015 17:41 #3

• martyn
  • Thank you received: 0

Hainault Farm 01 Aug 2017 09:44 #4

• tc2324
  • Thank you received: 5
RFC Hainault Farm is no more.

The remainder of the buildings from WW1 have now been bulldozed out of existence......

Hainault Farm 01 Aug 2017 15:11 #5

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 275
Part of the 100th anniversary celebrations no doubt ?

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds