Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: NETHERLANDS ; Lancaster ED887/AJ-A , 617 Sqdn , Castricum aan Zee

NETHERLANDS ; Lancaster ED887/AJ-A , 617 Sqdn , Castricum aan Zee 10 Jun 2018 23:49 #1

• David Thompson
  • David Thompson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 292
Now that this memorial has been dedicated I have moved this thread from the 'Memorial News and Research' section .

5 February 2018
I picked this up from the latest RAFA Airmail magazine and a proposed memorial to the crew of Lancaster ED887/AJ-A . Full details on the website link here ;
617sqn-namf.nl/index.html .

As an aside to the Dambusters connection I'm sure I've read that the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Lancaster V-Vera KB726 would carry Guy Gibsons AJ-G this season to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Dams raid . Such a significant anniversary seems to have gone un-noticed so far here in the UK ?

David

you are correct, CWH announced the news in their magazine www.warplane.com/documents/Flightlines-January-2018.pdf
Youth is wasted on the young !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by David Thompson.

NETHERLANDS ; Lancaster ED887/AJ-A , 617 Sqdn , Castricum aan Zee 10 Jun 2018 23:53 #2

• David Thompson
  • David Thompson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 292
The memorial has now been dedicated , report here dated 19 May 2018 ;

A fitting tribute to one of the crews from the famous Dambusters raid has been unveiled on the Dutch coast.

The memorial honours the seven men of Lancaster ED887, shot down on the way back from the raid on German dams on May 16/17, 1943.

The crew of Lancaster AJ-A were Melvin Young (pilot), David Horsfall (flight engineer), Charles Roberts (navigator), Lawrence Nichols (wireless operator), Vincent MacCausland (bomb aimer), Gordon Yeo (front gunner) and Wilfred Ibbotson (rear gunner).

It had dropped its bouncing bomb at the Mohne Dam, resulting in a small breach, just before a mine from another Lancaster actually breached the dam.

Full story with photographs here ; www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-...mbuster-crew-1585003 .
Youth is wasted on the young !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds