Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: FSX Approach Lighting Question

FSX Approach Lighting Question 06 Dec 2015 11:40 #1

• Ian P
  • Ian P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to create something representing an Aerodrome Lighting System No.1 ("Drem System") for a scenery of RAF Drem I am creating in MS FSX. The theory is that, once I've finished modelling all the various components, it'll be driven by SODE (Sim Object Display Engine) to become active runway specific. However, while testing the ring and outer lighting components, I've discovered an issue which I'm not sure how to resolve.

The problem I've come up with is that small, not immediately obvious unless you're looking for them, lights do not work in the non-blacked-out world of FSX, with its street lights, random patches of illuminated ground for no obvious reason and lit houses, etc.

I have two choices: I can either make the lights unrealistically large and bright, so you can see them, or I can leave them small and indistinct, but you'll see the airfield before you see the lights designed to help you find it, probably!

What are peoples' thoughts regarding this issue? Overpowered lighting, or more realistic but indistinct lighting?

Cheers,

Ian P.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FSX Approach Lighting Question 06 Nov 2017 14:48 #2

• SeattleSleeper
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Ian,
I know it's a bit late response. Have you tried just using exclusion polygons to get rid of the vector features (street lights) and building auto-gen? On my airfield projects I control the terrain for a fir distance from the airfields. I would love to see a working Drem System!

Cheers,
Terry F.

FSX Approach Lighting Question 17 Nov 2017 08:46 #3

• Ian P
Thanks Terry,

I did think of that, but unfortunately it's not just the 3d models causing the problem, it's all the landclass textures as well. Yes, I could go in and remove all the light masks from the textures, but then we're straying into "complete rebuild of the sim" territory. I'd love to do it, but it's not particularly practical!

Right now, there's one section of the system (the searchlight) that needs fixing and one bit (approach path indicator) that I haven't got to work yet. I've been given some very useful assistance on FSDeveloper, but not been able to put it into practice yet. It works for the most part, though. Unfortunately, I don't have the information I need to recreate Drem to a standard I'd be happy with, so I may have to up sticks and move the lot to Sandy in Bedfordshire, as I believe that Tempsford was fitted with a Mk.I system and never upgraded to Mk.II, whereas Drem did receive the upgrade.

Cheers,

Ian P.

FSX Approach Lighting Question 17 Nov 2017 09:48 #4

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 210

Ian P wrote: ... as I believe that Tempsford was fitted with a Mk.I system and never upgraded to Mk.II, whereas Drem did receive the upgrade.

By 1944 Tempsford had Drem Mk.1 -Modified (whatever that is)
Other airfields reputedly having Mk.1 in 1944 were: Bodney, Bramcote, Cottesmore, Croydon, Dishforth, Donna Nook, Driffield, Honington, Leuchars, Marham, Old Sarum, Scampton, Skellingthorpe, Stradishall, Thorney Island, Wyton

A few of these I find surprising, e.g. Skellingthorpe.. By 1955 Scampton, Thorney Island and Wyton had Mk.II -Modified, Stradishall had MK.III -Modified.

Drem was certainly upgraded to Mk.II. Honington probably had Mk.I but wouldn't need upgrading as it had the American HILV system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian P

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

FSX Approach Lighting Question 17 Nov 2017 10:01 #5

• Ian P
Bodney had a Mk.I ALS? How the heck did they fit that in?

Still, that's another airfield I've already got a rendition of that I can use my overcomplex SODE script on, so that's very useful, thanks! :)

I have the Willis/Hollis "Military Airfields" Omnibus Edition which is useful for trying to work out what system was in use at each airfield. Once I have the system working in a reasonable way, then I'll try and relocate it to other sites. I'm getting there, slowly.

Cheers,

Ian P.

FSX Approach Lighting Question 17 Nov 2017 11:16 #6

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 210

Ian P wrote: Bodney had a Mk.I ALS? How the heck did they fit that in.

Yes - its a small site, though the RAF few B-17s from here in 1941. The plan on page 32 of 'Airfields of the Eighth, Then and Now' shows the 'Drem' lighting. I suspect it might not have been as thought. The plan shows fitted and 'later' Angle of Glide indicators which were part of Drem. It also shows positions of flares, suggesting that electric flarepath was not fitted. I would have thought it was a prime contender for the American HILV system, but apparently not from browsing posts. PB may know otherwise.

Andover, another small airfield, had one strip with Drem Mk.1.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds