Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Barry Storage Depot, South Wales

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 04 Jun 2018 15:17 #1

  • TimWhittle
  • TimWhittle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 152
  • Thank you received: 188
As far as I can see, there has been no thread started on this storage depot. Like many others the site had closed by the time by joined OPA in 1990. Below is an MoP description of the site from the 1960s

BARRY

Situated on the south side of Hayes Road, Sully, Penarth, Glamorgan and approximately two miles from Barry Docks and bounded on the south east by the foreshore of the Bristol Channel.

Used for sea, rail and road distribution and connected to no. 2 ocean berth on the Basin Barry Docks by 2 x 10” pipelines and 2 x 8” pipelines from the former to the coaster berth valve pit.

Not connected to the Government pipeline system.

Tanks The tanks are in two groups, adjacent to each other and made up as follows: -

11 Neill square tanks each 4,000 tons nominal capacity, 5 C2 type tanks each 4,000 tons nominal capacity and one 30’ x 9’ slop tank.

Used for white oil products.

All the tanks except the slop tank are partially buried, mounded and connected by an underground tunnel to the pumphouse.

Pumps Sited in a partially buried and mounded concrete pumphouse and comprising of the following: -

2 – 60 tons/hr. pumps for rail and road loading
2 – 200 tons/hr. pumps for movement of products and tanker loading.
1 – 10 tons/hr. pump for slopping tanks and pipelines.

A further pump has been installed at the rail loading site for unloading tank wagons.

All are electrically driven.

Road
Loading The road gantry has 12 loading points and 3 vehicle unloading points and is fed by a 6” diameter line for loading and for unloading is connected by a 3” line through the pumphouse.

Rail
Loading Is made up of 8 loading points and fed by a 6” line.

There is also a cross connection from the 10” ship discharge line to the 6” loading line providing further flexibility.

Fire
Fighting The complete installation is ringed with a 6” fire main with hydrants, constant pressure being maintained by a fire pump. Water is supplied from the public supply and there is a 48,000 gallon static water tank. A high pressure water supply is also available for emergency purposes from the B.H.C. works opposite.

There are two trailer pumps and foam extinguishers for dealing with small fires. Foam is base injected into tanks through product lines.

Electricity
Supply Electricity is supplied by a single feed from the C.E.G.B. through a transformer.

In case of shutdown, a standby diesel electric set is available.

Offices There are the normal offices etc.

Constructed in 1940 with additions and alterations in 1943 and 1946.

__________________________


Nominal Capacity - 66,050 tons

Agents - Esso Petroleum Co.

Grid Reference - 154. ST/147678
Retired former chartered engineer with OPA, British Gas and Foxboro Yoxall. Author of 'Fuelling the Wars - PLUTO and the Secret Pipeline Network 1936 to 2015', of various papers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER, Engineer, 698, Harboda77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 04 Jun 2018 15:54 #2

  • Engineer
  • Engineer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 234
  • Thank you received: 22
Had a look today and lorry loading islands are still there and tank mound appears untouched, nettles/brambles too prolific for a full recce.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER, 698, TimWhittle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Engineer.

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 05 Jun 2018 15:32 #3

  • Engineer
  • Engineer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 234
  • Thank you received: 22
Not much to see on sat images, looks like the site may have had the bulldozer treatment.

zoom.earth/#51.404607,-3.2288,18z,map
The following user(s) said Thank You: 698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 05 Jun 2018 21:07 #4

  • Harboda77
  • Harboda77's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Posts: 1475
  • Thank you received: 115
Thanks for posting Tim as it answered a number of questions ~ there was also a well known Art-Deco Hospital built during the 1930's just to the west of the site.

I had read that the American SeeBee's had constructed a large number QuonSet Huts around the hospital grounds.

I have assumed that the special White Oil had been pumped from the rail head under the road into this temporary storage holding depot before being distributed by specialized road tankers ?

My search identified that White oil is it's manufactured from mixtures of highly refined paraffnic and naphthenic hydrocarbons derived from crude oil and is extremely pure and versatile.

They are used as lubricants and release agents in nonfood applications, such as adhesives, defoamers, resin-bonded fllters, rubber, textiles, fibers, metallic articles and machinery.

Technical Grade White Oil functions as a conditioning agent, dust suppressant, moisture barrier, diluent and dehydrating agent.

My interest is only based upon working in the medical imaging industry in Hayes Middlesex and during my time in America was aware that Technical Grade White Oil had not meet FDA regulations ~ these are the only reasons why your post caught my attention and further investigation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 12 Jun 2018 08:53 #5

  • TimWhittle
  • TimWhittle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 152
  • Thank you received: 188
Harboda 77

Thanks for tour reply. Gasoline, kerosene, gas oil and diesel are all also white oils.

regards

Tim
Retired former chartered engineer with OPA, British Gas and Foxboro Yoxall. Author of 'Fuelling the Wars - PLUTO and the Secret Pipeline Network 1936 to 2015', of various papers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 12 Jun 2018 08:58 #6

  • TimWhittle
  • TimWhittle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 152
  • Thank you received: 188
This is another document I have describing the site. It is undated but was written after the site was mothballed

PE/69/65/21x
31. The Barry installation contains sixteen storage tanks with a total capacity for motor spirit and kerosene of 67,000 tons. Ten square tanks were originally constructed under the Civil Reserve scheme, then another tank was added to this group and finally a further five C.2 tanks were addedx under the Civil Storage scheme. The site was obtained after considerable trouble from a hospital which had intended to use it for a camp to treat tuberculosis cases. The high price of £5,000 for 19 acres was agreed because of the loss suffered by the hospital in being forced to seek an alternative site for this camp. To the North the site has a 750 feet frontage on the Hayes Road, and as the South Side runs to the edge of the rocky foreshore of the Bristol Channel.

32. There are 2-10” pipelines from the tankage site, which follows the course of the Cadoxton River, to No 3 Oil Basin of Barry Docks. There are two tanker berths in the Basin, one for ocean tankers, and the other for coasting vesselsx.

The Barry installation has facilities for distribution by road and rail. Road loading for the whole site is done from two loading gantries. A double track railway siding is provided which runs into the main track to the North, and 1-6” line delivers the spirit from the tanks to the rail loading gantry which accommodates sixteen loading points. This siding was moved by a distance equal to the whole length of the storage site in 1947 to permit the building of a factory which had been sponsored by the Board of Trade.

Standby Diesel driven generators have been provided on the site as an alternative source of electricity in the event of the Grid supply being put out of action. The 6” fire main on the site is fed by a 6” section line from the Cadoxton River, and a reserve supply for fire-fighting is kept in the 48,000 gallons static water tank.

33. The construction of the total tankagex, the responsibility of the Angle-American Oil Company, was not completed until June 1942, at an overall cost of £343,000. The installation has now been placed on a care and maintenance basis.

Area 19 acres No of Tanks 16 Type and Capacity 11 square 4,300 tons, 5 C2 4000 tons Fed by Tanker Grade of oil Motor Spirit Kerosine
Retired former chartered engineer with OPA, British Gas and Foxboro Yoxall. Author of 'Fuelling the Wars - PLUTO and the Secret Pipeline Network 1936 to 2015', of various papers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Engineer, 698, Harboda77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TimWhittle.

Barry Storage Depot, South Wales 21 Jun 2018 07:35 #7

  • TimWhittle
  • TimWhittle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 152
  • Thank you received: 188
This is quite a detailed description from 1963

DESCRIPTION OF MINISTRY OF POWER INSTALLATION AT BARRY

November 1963

PLANT AND FACILITIES INSTALLED AT THIS SITE FOR RECEPTION AND DELIVERY BY WATER

2 x 10 inch pipelines from Ocean berth valve pit situate at the Basin Barry Docks and 2 x 8 inch pipelines from Coaster berth valve at the Basin Barry Docks. These 8 inch lines connected into 10 inch lines in Docks Junction Valve pit. Pipelines underground from Barry Docks following Cadoxton river to Sully and branches across (still underground) to site where they are visible in underground Pumphouse and in tunnels to the farthest points in new section tunnel.

Storage Tank No 15. (Feeding or taking away from) Storage tanks No. 1, 2 – 4,780 tons product, each, at tunnel junction (left) for Nos 3, 10 and (right, at Tunnel Junction) for 4,9,5,8,6,7 and into new section for 12,13,14,16 and 15 mentioned above (4,990 tons, each). All above storages have two 10 inch pipelines, one fixed line and one swing-arm line. No 11 Storage Tank, 4,780 tons, has one 10 inch (swing-arm) line from pumphouse, other ENTRY/EXIT reduced to 6 inch line and comes through bank in forecourt and connected into road-loading gantry for gravity loading.

All storages have 3 inch (slop) pipeline connections (for below suction of larger pipelines to collect product or remove water) though to slop tank (30’x9’) via slop-pump and S/P manifold in underground pumphouse. This 3inch line has connection in pumphouse to 10” and 6” pipelines.

PUMPING

In underground pumphouse, 2 (cargo) pumps Metro Vicks 50 H.P Motors capable of pumping (2 ½ miles to Docks) 200 tons per hour each. Complete Manifold to each pump.

2 (Rail/Road Loading) pumps Metro-Vicks 3.5H.P Motors, capable of pumping to Road Gantry in the forecourt (12 loading points) and Rail Gantry (¼ mile away), 8 loading points at 50 tons per hour. Each pump having complete manifold.

1 Size 80A Screw displacement (SLOP) pump English Electric 7.5 H.P Motor (Pump new, Stothert & Pitt 6/6/63) capable of pumping WATER/PRODUCT to farthest point (or from) on site (No. 15 tank approx: 500 yards) at 3000 gallons per hour. Has complete manifold.

2 Multi-vane fans (No 21), Thermal Eng. Co. driven by 2 5 H.P Motors on slide rails, “Brooks Motors”, for changing air in tunnels and annexes in old section by means of ducting from underground pumphouse to these places.

FAN HOUSE

In addition to above and to complete system of changing air in tunnels and annxes on site, in this house between old and new sections of tunnels are two (2) Multivane Impeller fans “Morris Warminster”, 2 motors of 5 H.P. each by Keith Blackman.

TANKAGE

11 M.5 tanks (Nos. 1 to 11) (Approx. 1 ¼ million gallons each) 100 ft x 100 ft x 20 ft. and situate in what is termed as “old section”.

5 M.5 tanks (Nos 12 to 16) (Approx. 1.1/3d million gallons each) 118ft diameter 19’8” high and situate in “new section” (Concrete Roofs).

1 30’ x 9’ Slop Tank (11,700 gallons) situate in GRASS/EARTH/STONE BUND in close proximity to entrance to underground pumphouse.

1 out of use G&B 600 gallon petrol tank situate in the grass forecourt of site and near to main 20ft gates entrance.

1 600 gln. (underground) tank used as storage for DIESEL fuel to supply 40 gallon bunker tank (overhead) in Generator House for “PETTERS” diesel engine (3 cylinder, super-scavenger) of 187.5 B.H.P., 500 RPM which is capable at any time to take over the supply of electric power to this site from the South Wales Electricity Authorisation.

PUMPHOUSE (FIRE)

On this G.C.R Site, has “GWYNNE” Centrifugal pump, 3 stage and capable of pumping from Static tank of 48,000 gallons (Water) capacity, to 6 inch ring main (and can receive water from collector heads in valve pit rear of (Fire) (Pumphouse) around tank sites (old and new section) and maintain sufficient pressure to keep 12 Hydrant boxes in action.

Water to Static-tank can be on continuous basis (in emergency only) by arrangement with Distillers Company Ltd. (opposite side of Hayes Road to us) via 6 inch pipeline right to static tank.

There are in this building also a number of prepared and tested 2 gln. Foam Extinguishers, Branch pipes No 10, Foam making (No2) Branch pipes, multi Jet Inductor and in line Inductors, 4 gallon Knapsacks (foam) 20ft ladder etc etc etc.

TRAILER HOUSES

Two on Site. In No 1 Standard-Gwynne Trailer pump and in No 2 Dennis trailer pump complete with hoses and equipment.

FOAM INJECTION

Is into product (Gas Oil) full lines and valves are situate on main (cargo) line in “old section” tunnel – 1 x 6 inch and new section tunnel – 1 x 6 inch, 4 inch foam valves (10) are situate as follows: - Two main Pumphouse (underground, two between sites (old section and new section) above ground, two covering East side entrance above ground, two on tank bank at No 15 Storage Site above ground and 2 adjacent Road Loading Gantry in forecourt.

BUILDINGS

Concluded by mentioning Office Block (which is General Office) Customs Office, Messroom, Workshop and with (at rear) Stores referred to as sampling room – W/C’s, Wash-ups, etc etc.

Transformerhouse (Double locked ourselves and Electric Authority each holding keys of respective locks)

Canteen Building. 30’ x 18’ and an Air Raid Shelter – 38’ x 9’ 6”.

FENCING

We are surrounded by palisading type fencing 7’ 6” high consisting of LOCHRIN uprights and horizontals (made by Wm.Bain of Coatbridge, Scotland) and is measured as 4,080 feet. At Railway Sidings, there is similar type fencing measured to (approx) 2,000ft. (although, at this date we are open to the Distillers Company Ltd. On the East Side and North Side and in fact they have a Rail loading/ discharging gantry as we have. Continuing with fencing, at the Basin Barry Docks we have (Approx) 870 feet (6 ft. high, as against 7’6” elsewhere) used as protective fencing when loading / discharging tankers and it is the liability of the British Transport Docks Board, via Docks Manager, to erect and take down fencing as dockings and sailings take place and are responsible to maintain fence in good condition.

We have 3 x 20 ft. entrance gates at G.C.R Site: East (grass) Centre (main) and West having installed road and properly kerbed.

Our contact with outposts on being operational is by private wire (G.P.O Rentals) telephones being situate at: - General Office, Pump Room (underground), Barry Docks (Basin) hose house and on rail-car loading gantry. P.W Line (G.P.O) reference R/CF.303.

RAIL SIDINGS AND GANTRY

Pumphouse housing, 1-12 H.P Motor 415V 3 PH No. 92172 (Laurence Stott), 1 reciprocating 6” Pump No. 24380 (‘Hayward Tyler’) for pumping Rail cars to storages.

CAPSTAN STARTER HOUSE

Housing 1 – 6 H.P. Starter Panel No. 3803, with mounted ammeter (M.&C. Switchgear Ltd.”).

RAIL SIDINGS AND GANTRY (Continued)

LOADING GANTRY

Steel structure (approx.) 78 feet long by 6 feet wide, Stairway each end from WOODEN platform, has 8 steel grille platforms (6 feet x 1’6”) for lowering on to railcars. There are 8 loading arms (swing-arms) – (4 either side).

CAPSTAN

With (Stothert & Pitt), 6 H.P. Motor No. CA5931 and 6 fairleads (spaced).

BOGIE

With flanged wheels.

FIRE PUMPHOUSE – RIVERSIDE

Situate about ½ mile from G.C.R and approached via the Rail Sidings compound and on bank of Cadoxton (BARRY) River. Now out of use but containers: - 30 H.P Ford V.8 petrol driven pumping unit No. 7716050, 6 inch “TANGYE” Pump No. A.2481. Outside this pumphouse of 9 inch brick of 13’ x 10’ x 10’ dimensions is steel chequer plate ladder (with hand rail) fixed in concrete, down to river.
6” water pipe to static tank (G.C.R) abandoned.
Retired former chartered engineer with OPA, British Gas and Foxboro Yoxall. Author of 'Fuelling the Wars - PLUTO and the Secret Pipeline Network 1936 to 2015', of various papers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Engineer, 698, Harboda77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information