Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stonesby

Stonesby 24 Jun 2014 20:54 #1

• 698's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 23
While aimlessly scrolling about in Google Earth I spotted what looks to be a fuel depot just to the East of Waltham on the Wolds, near Melton mowbray.
After a quick look through this thread I couldn't find anything about it, unless I missed it!

Google Maps shows it being behind rustic gates and down a long prepared track which is controlled by traffic lights.

Does anyone have any info on what line it is on and what it feeds or is fed from?

[IMG]/community/147133=16979-Waltham on the wolds.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stonesby 24 Jun 2014 21:10 #2

• kebecker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133

698;147133 wrote: While aimlessly scrolling about in Google Earth I spotted what looks to be a fuel depot just to the East of Waltham on the Wolds, near Melton mowbray.
After a quick look through this thread I couldn't find anything about it, unless I missed it!

Google Maps shows it being behind rustic gates and down a long prepared track which is controlled by traffic lights.

Does anyone have any info on what line it is on and what it feeds or is fed from?

[IMG]/community/147133=16979-Waltham on the wolds.jpg

Just a guess, the BBC transmitter, or Petfoods research labs? wrong guess, should have looked at GE first!

Last Edit: by kebecker.

Stonesby 24 Jun 2014 21:11 #3

• deprecated
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56
Search for Stonesby in the audit section. There are three 4000 ton C2 tanks which were used for aviation fuel.

The GPSS pipeline passes just to the East of it.

Stonesby 24 Jun 2014 22:17 #4

• 698's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 23

Iain Taylor;147135 wrote: Search for Stonesby in the audit section. There are three 4000 ton C2 tanks which were used for aviation fuel.

The GPSS pipeline passes just to the East of it.

Ah!
I saw the name Stonesby nearby,but of course, I had to assume it would be named Waltham on the Wolds!

Thanks for that!

Stonesby 14 Nov 2017 08:30 #5

• TimWhittle
  • Thank you received: 187
Stonesby was used for static storage of RAF fuel until the early 1990s when it was closed. I never had reason to visit the site but someone who did said that it was immaculately kept as the staff had nothing else to do.

The site was left uncompleted at the end of WW2. Attached is an MoP description of the site showing it as then being unusable.

STONESBY

Situated on a 5½ acres site about 8 miles south of Redmile and connected to the S/M line by two 8” Johnson coupled spurs approximately 2000ft. long. The installation is complete and cannot be operated in its present condition.

Tanks Three C2 type tanks each of 4000 tons nominal capacity for the storage of white oils. They can be filled only from the Government Pipeline System and it is possible for oil to gravitate from any tank to Redmile installation.

The tanks are partly buried and mounded.

Pipelines There are no pipelines other than those connecting the tanks to the spurs which lead to the S/M line.

Pumps There are no pumps.

Rail and
Road
Loading There is no provision for despatch by road or rail.

Fire
Fighting There is a small concrete lined static water pond but there is no mains supply to the installation. Foam entry points have been provided at the tunnel entrance for injection into tanks through the product lines. No other fire fighting equipment has been provided.

Electricity
Supply There are light points in the tank access tunnel and office building but no mains supply of current or standby generator has been provided.

Office
Building A brick masonry structure consisting of an office room (12’ x 9’), a switch room (9’ x 4’) and a toilet.

Nominal Capacity - 12,000 tons

Constructed - 1943

Agents - Regent Oil Company
The following user(s) said Thank You: 698, MartynJ

Retired former chartered engineer with OPA, British Gas and Foxboro Yoxall. Author of 'Fuelling the Wars - PLUTO and the Secret Pipeline Network 1936 to 2015', of various papers.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds