Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Archive Closure

Archive Closure 15 Jun 2016 17:48 #1

• Paul Francis
  • Paul Francis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 431
To prepare for our forthcoming relocation to new premises, the Archive will be closing to visitors from 17.00hrs on Friday 17th June.
We aim to complete the move by the end of the summer.
Further information will be posted as the project progresses.

If any ARG Ltd. Members can assist with the move in any way, please let us know.
You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by P Bellamy. Reason: Standardising closure statement.

Archive Closure 18 Jun 2016 10:45 #2

• Paul Francis
Paul Francis, 2nd in Command, ARG Archive posing on the last public day. Photo: Elisabeth Blanchet

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Paul Francis.

Archive Closure 18 Jun 2016 11:45 #3

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 447
Paul 'posing'? Never :)

Archive Closure 27 Jun 2016 16:51 #4

• Paul Francis
Please Note:

The Archive has closed temporarily in anticipation of moving. Airfield Research Group Ltd has for some time now been a tenant of Urban & Civic, the firm developing Alconbury Weald (the former RAF Alconbury), at no cost to ourselves. U&C is demolishing most of the existing buildings (except those of course of historic interest which have been "listed") and the turn of Building 56 (home to the archive) has come. Urban & Civic has given us notice, as they are entitled to do, and we must therefore move out of Building 56 by mid-September.

Your Board and Officers are actively discussing with Urban & Civic the possibilities of alternative accommodation at Alconbury but, as a safeguard, are also exploring alternatives elsewhere. These alternatives may sadly necessitate a short-term move into storage rather than a fully-functioning archive, given the high cost of suitable office space on the open commercial market.

Fuller details of the Board's plans will be given to members at the Annual General Meeting on Sunday 21 August. Members should note that because of the move out of Alconbury, the AGM will be held at the Brampton Institute (full details are in the Calling Notice enclosed in the AR mailing), this information is also published in the members area of the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETERTHEEATER

Archive Closure 27 Jun 2016 21:36 #5

• Harboda77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 122
I trust that a full photo record of the archive layout will be taken before being dismantled ~ a photo record needs to be taken so that we can recognize what had been archived by the team.

Archive Closure 27 Jun 2016 22:28 #6

• Removed
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 144

Harboda77 wrote: I trust that a full photo record of the archive layout will be taken before being dismantled ~ a photo record needs to be taken so that we can recognize what had been archived by the team.

Paul Bellamy already has many pictures and I'm sure he will take more. He and everyone else that has put so much work into to creating this nationally important archive over recent years should be very, very proud of the work they have done. This work needs to be recorded.

Archive Closure 19 Jul 2016 05:55 #7

• Harboda77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 122
Pleased to read the news about building 534 on FB and the potential 3 year lease potential.

Archive Closure 19 Jul 2016 09:43 #8

• Paul Francis
ARCHIVE RELOCATION UPDATE

Thanks to the continuing support of Urban & Civic, we have been provided with not one but two new facilities on site.

The core archive collections will be moving into Building 534, built in the late 1980s as the Arts and Crafts Center, and we will have an office and display space in Building 519, the 1980s Base Operations Facility. 519 will also house the digital collections.

We will require the assistance of local ARG volunteers over the next month or so with a number of tasks prior to and during the move, so if you can help out please get in touch.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds