Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: An Appeal to all Users

An Appeal to all Users 19 Dec 2016 14:53 #1

• netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 872
Hi everybody

I have spent of deal of time recently on housekeeping on the forum and wanted to highlight some issues with some of our older posts

Over the past several years we have been badly affected by the disappearance of online photo hosting sites, in particular webshots, fotopic and pikfu.net, but others have also been problematic for various reasons. These sites were favourites with some users and because of historic limitations with our forum, were the preferred host location for photos posted here.

When these sites disappeared so did the photos, which has meant that some of our forum threads are less informative than they once were.

So if you are passing a local memorial, airfield or other site in the near future, or indeed if you have photos which you have not yet posted, please update the relevant thread here

Thank you

Kevin (Mod)
kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony H, Jeff Hawley
The topic has been locked.

An Appeal to all Users 16 Feb 2017 15:35 #2

• netcompsys
Hi everybody

In my continuing series of housekeeping sweeps through the forum, I have found a number of broken links to photos on Photobucket.

On this occasion these have been primarily to memorials and airfield sites in the North East of England

So if you are out and about, in that area in particular, and are passing or visiting a place of interest to us on here, please feel free to update the relevant topic

The complications arising out of the use of external sites, like photobucket in paricular, make it one of my least favourite photo storage locations

Thank You

Kevin (Mod)
kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Hawley

An Appeal to all Users 28 Mar 2017 16:21 #3

• netcompsys
Found some more broken links to photos on external sites this week which initiated another investigation and sweep through the forum to find the other broken photos

This time the culprit is facebook.

There are plenty on here which have a deep rooted dislike of facebook and I do not want to initiate another heated debate into its relative mertis,
however you should know that if you link to photos hosted on facebook then even if the photos can still be found on there, the links to them are not permanent

It seems that facebook in their own housekeeping and management moves their content around their servers

Anyway it means that while in the short term they may be visible here, they are not in the long term

One user has made over 100 posts on here which primarily contained photos, all linked to facebook, and his posts, and much of the discussion around them, is now completely valueless

So please do not use facebook as a hosting service for the photos you are going to post on here

Thanks

Kevin (Mod)
kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Francis, Guest_1, Tony H
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds