Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...

TOPIC: Prefabs

Prefabs 23 Jan 2018 18:07 #1

• mbriscoe
  • mbriscoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 546
Today's Making History had an item about prefabs, particularly a Swedish "flat pack type". Also mentioned a Prefab Museum.

Britain's housing issues have kick-started a boom in a type of home that came to the rescue in the dark days after World War Two, when prefabs offered accommodation for those who were bombed or living in slums. Thanks to a certain Swedish company, we all know about flat-packed furniture but, back in the late 1940s, it was Swedish flat-packed houses that were causing a stir. Architectural writer Jonathan Glancey gives us the low-down on a house that changed lives and is, in some places, still standing.

Available on iPlayer or Podcast.

The Prefab Museum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Hawley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Prefabs 23 Jan 2018 22:29 #2

• Jeff Hawley
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 43
Thanks for sharing this. I was listening to it in the car and was going to look it up this evening.

Prefabs 23 Jan 2018 22:34 #3

• mbriscoe
  • mbriscoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 546

Jeff Hawley wrote: Thanks for sharing this. I was listening to it in the car and was going to look it up this evening.

Must run the whole programme tomorrow because I missed a few bits. I have it set to serial record on the PVR.

Prefabs 23 Jan 2018 22:55 #4

• mothminor
  • Thank you received: 129
Blackburn at Dumbarton built prefabs post-war as shown in this short clip -

movingimage.nls.uk/film/0505?search_term...AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Last edit: by mothminor.

Prefabs 24 Jan 2018 09:06 #5

• ChrisTheAncient
  • Thank you received: 22
I well remember prefabs.

I've nor visited Duxford for many years. Do they still have that one set up where one can peer through the windows?

When I was a kiddy-wink, we lived in London and we moved to a upstairs flat in Lewisham. And the road behind us was a row of prefabs. All visible from our back widows. And we had a friend who lived in one and we used to pop round and see them occasionally. I always thought it was so clever the way the kitchen was laid out.

Now here I have to admit to perhaps having some addled brain cells; but I think I remember some of the OMQs at Binbrook being prefabs when I first got there in the early 60's? There were certainly a load of seco huts next to the Officers' Mess. Once was later used for BBS (Binbrook Broadcasting System) - the 'piped' radio and studio centre for the 'H Blocks'.

Prefabs 24 Jan 2018 10:50 #6

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Well they keep going on about a housing shortage, so wouldnt prefabs help to solve this? Incedentally most motorway Travelodges are prefabs.

Prefabs 02 Feb 2018 11:59 #7

• TimC340
  • Thank you received: 1
We lived in a prefab at RAF Waterbach in the '50s. My Dad was too young to qualify for an OMQ (you had to be 25), so I guess they got it through the local council.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

Prefabs 02 Feb 2018 19:42 #8

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 402
You will note that some of the photos on the Prefab museum site were provided by ARG, we have over the past couple of years worked closely with the museum and they have visited the archive to look at what we have, which is quite a bit.
You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Prefabs 03 Feb 2018 17:05 #9

• YAMFan
  • Thank you received: 12
This is my sister and my cousin on the prefabs site at Shepherds Grove in the 1960s.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Francis

Last edit: by Paul Francis.

Prefabs 03 Feb 2018 17:59 #10

• Ginger Hale
  • Thank you received: 0
My father was in the RAF during ww2 and was billeted at an RAF airfield in Staffordshire. I remember
him taking about living in a pre-fab hut, I think it had asbestos walls and flat roof. I also think he talked
about the hut only having one stove, no kitchen, no toilets, no running water and no electrics as all those
essentials were provide for by the stations mess/naafi.
Do you know if my recollections of his living quarters and hut life sounds plausible?.
I find it hard to believe that the RAF pre-fabs did not have electrics for the airmen.

Time to create page: 0.795 seconds