Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bill Taylor

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 10:11 #1

• netcompsys
  • netcompsys's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 569
Gp Capt Bill Taylor OBE IEng FRAeS RAF (Rtd)

Many here will remember Bill who was WJT on this forum

Sad to to report Bill's passing after a long illness.

Having retired from the RAF he set up his own engineering company, de Havilland Support Limited with his close friends and colleagues, Stuart McKay and Mark Millar in 2000. Based at Duxford they took on the design responsibility for the civil-certified de Havilland aircraft types. They also provide an element of support to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Bill had been involved in a wide range of aircraft over his career including the Jaguar at Bruggen and Bloodhound at West RaynhamHe also served at Honington, Marham and Swanton Morley.

He was co author of the Airfields of Lincolnshire Since 1912 and a number of other books including the history of North Coates

I had the pleasure of meeting him while attending a number of lectures that he gave which were always well attended and informative
The following user(s) said Thank You: kebecker, Bloodhound Guy, Dietmar Morley, 698, Jeff Hawley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kevin

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 11:05 #2

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 321
How sad. I enjoyed reading Bill's forum contributions.

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 13:36 #3

• Paul Francis
  • Thank you received: 391
He was also author of Raynham Reflections, co-author of one of my reports on RAF West Raynam, author of 'RAF Germany', a long-term member of ARG and had a very keen interest in HGVs, hence his original name on here as Mandator (after AEC Mandator). We will miss him terribly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossington_2008, canberra, Dietmar Morley, 698, Jeff Hawley

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
Last Edit: by Paul Francis.

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 17:44 #4

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 243

Paul Francis wrote: We will miss him terribly.

We certainly will. Hope there will be an obituary / vale in the next Airfield Review.

RIP Bill

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 20:37 #5

• Bloodhound Guy
  • Thank you received: 13
Bill was my Wing Commander at West Raynham at the end of my Stint there, and though I didn't personally meet him face to face, I had a lot of dealings with him over e-mail when researching the history of Bloodhound when it came to the end of the system's service in 1991.

RIP Bill

Last Edit: by Bloodhound Guy.

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 21:02 #6

• Jeff Hawley
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 26

Carnaby wrote:

Paul Francis wrote: We will miss him terribly.

We certainly will. Hope there will be an obituary / vale in the next Airfield Review.

RIP Bill

There will be.

Bill Taylor 17 Apr 2018 21:14 #7

• PJH
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
I was fortunate to know Bill both through ARG and also professionally from his time as DHSL. He was always easy to get on with and had many wise words.

He will be greatly missed and was truly an officer and a gentleman.

Bill Taylor 18 Apr 2018 16:57 #8

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 367
I seem to recall that Bill and I were "volunteered" as moderators on the old AiX forum in a meeting at Duxford back in 2009. We crossed paths again at an Alconbury meeting but I can't recall when that was.

I think everyone seems to have the same recollections of Bill so there is not much I can add except that I was very grateful for the help he gave me in our exchanges regarding a couple of bombing ranges.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Bill Taylor 19 Apr 2018 10:51 #9

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 243
From the Historic Aircraft Association (with photo):

Passing of Gp Capt Bill Taylor OBE IEng FRAeS RAF (retd)

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:.

Bill Taylor - funeral arrangements 09 May 2018 00:07 #10

• David Thompson
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 257
***I've pinched this off the PPRuNE Forum which was posted on the 3 May and hopefully there will be a good turn out from the ARG community .***

Funeral arrangements for Bill Taylor, late CEO of de Havilland Support Ltd at Duxford, are as follows:

1200 noon on Tuesday, 15 May 2018.
South Lincolnshire Crematorium
Gosberton Road
Surfleet
Lincolnshire PE11 4AA

And afterwards at the Fenland Aero Club, Fenland Aerodrome, Holbeach St Johns, Spalding, Lincolnshire PE12 8RQ.

It would be very helpful (but not essential) if anyone planning to attend could advise via the de Havilland Support Ltd website ;
www.dhsupport.com/ : E ; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Youth is wasted on the young !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.668 seconds