Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There has been a change to the forum, introducing a new “Forum Member” subscription membership category. This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today.

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 05 May 2018 17:57 #1

• airfields man
  • airfields man's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by airfields man.

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 05 May 2018 18:21 #2

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A copy of the original Newspaper from May 18-05-1943. Inside today's copy is a chance to obtain a Free ; Giant Dambusters Poster. But you have to pay the postage. .

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 06 May 2018 10:13 #3

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
It it really an exact copy????? I doubt if the picture on the front page would have appeared on that date.

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 06 May 2018 10:28 #4

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 401
Good point. The Daily Mirror on the 18th May shows the official RAF before and after aerial photos, the latter taken the day before. I don't know the source of the ground level photo but even if it was taken by an agent it is unlikely to have reached England in a day. It was probably a German photo and scooped up as part of the intelligence gathering as the allies moved across Europe. If, however, it is a genuine copy then I'd be interested to know how they got it so quick, wirephoto perhaps?

EDIT: My wife just pointed out that the term bouncing bomb wasn't used or indeed known until after the war when it was no longer secret. And she didn't think red ink was used during wartime
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Last edit: by Peter Kirk. Reason: Added wife's comments!!

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 06 May 2018 22:56 #5

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

canberra wrote: It it really an exact copy????? I doubt if the picture on the front page would have appeared on that date.

Quite agree ! How could such a photograph from that angle be on the next days papers ? Also, how, whoever took it have survived ?

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 07 May 2018 06:05 #6

• Harboda77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Your right Paul ~ I'm guessing their German Federal Archive photo's recorded over the following days and were not seen by us until after May 1945.

My recollection of going through a collection of old War Weekly's or War Pictorials during the 50's or 60's were only of aerial photo's.

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 07 May 2018 09:02 #7

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 485

Peter Kirk wrote: Good point. The Daily Mirror on the 18th May shows the official RAF before and after aerial photos, the latter taken the day before. I don't know the source of the ground level photo but even if it was taken by an agent it is unlikely to have reached England in a day. It was probably a German photo and scooped up as part of the intelligence gathering as the allies moved across Europe. If, however, it is a genuine copy then I'd be interested to know how they got it so quick, wirephoto perhaps?

EDIT: My wife just pointed out that the term bouncing bomb wasn't used or indeed known until after the war when it was no longer secret. And she didn't think red ink was used during wartime

I had a look at newspapers around the date of the raid and many carried the aerial photographs over the next few days but obviously none of the ground. The only they would get them would be if published in German newspapers and they were hardly likely to show damage, more likely to concentrate on "innocent" civilians affected.

I was listening to the obituary of Michael Anderson on Last Word , it was said he was very insistent on technical accuracy during the making of the film. They managed to get hold of some of the film of the trials of dropping the bombs but were not allowed to show the way the bomb was carried on the aircraft - presumably the way it was spun. Didn't the Germans recover the mechanism from a crashed aircraft so I would have thought the Soviets would have got the details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 07 May 2018 09:15 #8

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 401
I believe that a lot of the drawings we see today, illustrating the bomb and the drive mechanisms were actually the German sourced ones, although this could be another myth.

Whilst I was looking at this I wondered how such a photo may ave travelled to England at speed and it turns out that photos were being sent by wire before the war (wirephoto was the term I think). I always though it was in the sixties it first appeared with audio coupling devices for phones (as in Bullitt - 1968).

Perhaps another thread on this subject as I believe we have, somewhere, a real wirephoto!
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Last edit: by Peter Kirk.

Dambusters ! Daily Mail Today. 07 May 2018 09:49 #9

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 485
Wire photos go back quite a long time, basically FAX.

They were in use before WWII though the machines were bulky and expensive.

I had a Muirhead facsimile transmitter and receiver to use on a vacation job whilst at university in 1the 1960s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.544 seconds