Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Abandoned old cars etc..

Abandoned old cars etc.. 07 May 2018 14:18 #1

• airfields man
  • airfields man's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
I'm sure there was a thread about people leaving old Cars etc to rot ? A long time ago I posted up a photograph that I took of some abandoned old military lorry that I saw somewhere in Gloucestershire. Can't find it right now. Anyway, I've been going past this grave-yard of old cars for years, so I stopped to take some awkward photographs yesterday, a big Yellow thing in the sky didn't help though, but lovely to see it, at last..
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Abandoned old cars etc.. 07 May 2018 14:29 #2

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Last shot shows the tail-end of a 1964 Vauxhall Victor estate. Looks like it's had a reversing light (Or two) fitted. Also has non-standard wheels. But it's still a 54 year old car left to rot. A bit further up the yard is a 1973 Triumph Spitfire. Plus many others.. It should be a crime to leave what were once lovely cars, during their time, to rot away like this...

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by airfields man.

Abandoned old cars etc.. 07 May 2018 14:39 #3

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 414
A post apocalyptic film set, or could be. If they were in pristine condition it wouldn't have been so much of a discovery. Finding an old wreck in the middle of a wood, for example, is far more interesting than viewing a museum piece, it leaves more to the imagination. It's a similar thing with old ruins. Or maybe I'm just weird :)
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011
The following user(s) said Thank You: airfields man

Abandoned old cars etc.. 07 May 2018 15:30 #4

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 515
Have they been abandoned or is someone running a scrap business? I wonder if they have planning permission to operate like that and are licenced?

Abandoned old cars etc.. 07 May 2018 16:41 #5

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

mbriscoe wrote: Have they been abandoned or is someone running a scrap business? I wonder if they have planning permission to operate like that and are licenced?

It can't be a scrap business as they have been there for at least 20 years ! Maybe longer.. I first noticed them, as they are now, about 1995-6 as I had a regular Friday visit to the industrial area on Wing airfield, and passed by this site on the way there. You can view them from the public road.
There are no signs advertising any scrap, or otherwise business. Probably some weirdo who got annoyed when something went wrong with them, and they stopped working so decided to make 'em suffer. Who knows...

Abandoned old cars etc.. 14 May 2018 19:52 #6

• mothminor
  • Thank you received: 126
Out walking one day recently we wandered off the beaten path and discovered this old wreck. Looked like it had been abandoned long ago! No clues in the way of badges or anything as to its make and model. Any ideas anyone?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: airfields man

Abandoned old cars etc.. 15 May 2018 08:20 #7

• Peter Kirk
That takes me back to my childhood when most old wrecks were of that style. No idea what make it is but I do remember that those doors were easy to get out of as they opened the other way. With all the safety alarms on cars these days they should bring them back as I struggle to get out of some cars, especially after a long journey.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Abandoned old cars etc.. 15 May 2018 19:30 #8

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It's the type used in Foyles War. A 1930s model, possibly a Wolseley 10. Thanks for showing that :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mothminor

Last edit: by airfields man.

Abandoned old cars etc.. 15 May 2018 19:39 #9

• mothminor
  • Thank you received: 126
Thanks, airfields man. That certainly does look very likely!

Agreed re. the doors, Peter. That way of opening gives so much more room for manouevre. I wonder why no-one makes them like that nowadays.

Abandoned old cars etc.. 15 May 2018 22:04 #10

• Peter Kirk
I think the old doors were too dangerous it they accidentally opened whilst moving, which was quite common on cars into the seventies. I believe there is/was a recent car that used this type of door but can't recall which one.

As for convenience the best vehicle we ever had when our kids were small was a Nissan Serena which had sliding rear doors and seven seats. Shame it was based on their van as it was noisy inside because the engine was between the two front seats. A small price to pay for the ease of use in narrow parking bays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mothminor

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds