Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There has been a change to the forum, introducing a new “Forum Member” subscription membership category. This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.

TOPIC: Electric Cars

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 09:02 #1

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 401
It seems that the government wants us to buy electric cars and hope to phase out diesel and petrol cars by 2040. All well and good, but......

1) What about lorries and van, surely the biggest polluters by volume?
2) What about old or vintage vehicles and farm equipment?
3) What about generators when the electricity fails?
4) Where will all this electricity come from given that five power stations near us have closed down and have no replacement and renewable energy is still only a small percentage and unreliable.
5) How will all those cars recharge? Most home owners and renters have no driveway or garage or any fixed parking area so will the streets be covered with cables?
6) I can image a new prank will be unplugging cars at night so that the will not have sufficient charge in the morning.
7) A lot more land will be required for recharging areas.
8) Generating the extra power may not be green enough unless the country is covered by wind turbines and solar farms, or more nuclear power stations.
9) With the speed at which decisions are made the infrastructure will not be in place to meet the need.
10) Will they change the stop, look, and listen safety code? I have nearly been run over three times by electric vehicles pulling out of parking spaces in car parks. You get no warning or sound.
11) What about motorbikes, which seem to have become increasingly noisy and annoying?
12) Will the petrol companies go down without a fight and will the Middle East suddenly lose its wealth?

I am in favour of electric cars but I believe most of the questions I raised should have been dealt with decades ago because we knew in the seventies that this was inevitable. I suspect a lot of the technologies back then that showed promise on the fuel saving front were bought up and buried.

Curiously most mornings I now hear a milk float, something that has been absent for many years.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011
The following user(s) said Thank You: WILLIAMARNOLD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 09:24 #2

• WILLIAMARNOLD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 198
It is as ever common sense is overidden by idealism and utopiamania Rather than adress such issues as to why there are so many 4 person vehicles only carrying one person and how to adapt buses so people with shopping can use them etc.
Long ago and far away

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 09:30 #3

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
I watched James Mays "cars of the people" the other day, apparently in the early 20th century electric cars were very common. And its not just cars and lorries. Most railway lines in this country are still not electric, what about diesel trains? And ironically the government decreed in the mid eighties that all government vehicles would be diesels.

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 09:34 #4

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 485
I saw a news item a couple of weeks ago which said that some new legislation had been poorly written so could be interpreted as hybrid vehicle being banned in the future. It was quickly denied and put down to an error. I would never consider a battery powered vehicle, it would have to be hybrid even if battery range was increased a bit more.

There used to be some fanatical believers in battery vehicles on another forum I used to use. They are OK for some people commuting in urban areas but I suspect many have a second vehicle for longer journeys.

There has been talk of HGVs but I suspect they will be hybrid, there are grandiose claims about systems where they can pick up power from a rail or induction they might as well stick to trains and trams.

There is talk of requiring electric vehicles to produce white noise - I would have thought pink noise would be better because it is easier to work out direction.

Sure someone has tried motorbikes but not seen anything. I was thinking yesterday, they police put a lot of effort into booking people for speeding (often very little above the limit) but travelling in excess of the speed limit is only responsible for a small proportion of serious accident (well down in single figure percentages). They could get a much larger reduction in serious accidents by banning motorbikes. If they did not exist and someone came up with the idea of sitting on top of a large powerful engine with only two wheels then I am sure they would be thought crazy and it not allowed.

Could imagine kids unplugging cars on charge, also "white van men" stealing the cables for scrap.

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 09:40 #5

• mbriscoe

canberra wrote: I watched James Mays "cars of the people" the other day, apparently in the early 20th century electric cars were very common. And its not just cars and lorries. Most railway lines in this country are still not electric, what about diesel trains? And ironically the government decreed in the mid eighties that all government vehicles would be diesels.

The railway up to here is a hundred miles or so with a handful of trains a day, it would be very expensive and ugly to electrify the whole route.

They still need diesel locos to rescue stranded electric trains even if the Thunderbirds have been retired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 10:46 #6

• WILLIAMARNOLD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 198
Mockingly i suggest trolley cars like trolley buses that took power from over head power lines but did not have rails .
Long ago and far away

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 11:01 #7

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 401
I'd forgotten about trains. Paddington always used to be noisy and smelly but I haven't used it for a couple of decades but I assume the diesel is still king on the GWR?

When Bluewater shopping hell first opened staff were not supposed to be allowed to drive there and had to use public transport. A desk driver made that one up no doubt. However reality paints a very different picture when buses don't run early enough or late enough. Outlying villages had little or no public transport and where they did, the journey took over an hour rather than 10 mins in the car. As Martin has said buses are not equipped for people doing shopping.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 13:03 #8

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
A lot of un-employed people, those who work in the garage's, car mechanic's, vehicle engine manufacturer's exhaust-pipe - makers / fitters.... Battery aircraft with charge-up stations five miles high.
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Last edit: by airfields man.

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 13:15 #9

• mbriscoe

airfields man wrote: A lot of un-employed people, those who work in the garage's, car mechanic's, vehicle engine manufacturer's exhaust-pipe - makers / fitters....

Cars will still have suspension, brakes, steering etc.

Many will opt for hybrid which still has an engine with all that entails.

Also plenty of work towing BMWs in to the garage after they fail or cars hit by one of the foolproof driverless cars. :(

Electric Cars 12 May 2018 13:30 #10

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Also plenty of work towing BMWs in to the garage after they fail or cars hit by one of the foolproof driverless cars. :([/quote]

Soooo looking forward to all this Rubbish technology, but, by then I will no-doubt be 'Off the road', though a ex WAAF that I know is still driving at 91 years...
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds