Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Photobucket image links are no longer allowed, as a matter of forum policy.
Your Mods have been doing a massive job in sorting out the photobucket issue, please assist them by posting directly to the thread and not through a 3rd party host.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: RAF 100th Birthday in London

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 14:24 #1

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 56
As many will have seen on the news the RAF 100TH birthday was celebrated in London yesterday.

I have two things to point out.

A new Queens colour was presented, so why was one presented 10 years ago? Colours are supposed to last 25 years.

Why was Prince Harry wearing his army pilots wings on RAF uniform?????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 14:36 #2

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 470
I think they said it was the sixth set of colours since about 1950.

Wonkypedia

The RAF in the UK, approved 27 December 1947, presented, 16 May 1951.

So they have been changed about every 10 years.

Seems rather inconsiderate that the large number of personnel on parade at Buckingham Palace were not allowed to watch the flypast.

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 16:48 #3

• Bloodhound1949
The Brylcreem boys(or is it persons these days?) put on rather a good show but as usual the BBC presentation and commentary were dire.It seems our national broadcaster is intent on pushing their" diversity" and "inclusive" agendas at the expense of good factual reporting.The RAF flypast commentator sounded like he was just reading out his script verbatim from the official blurb-Where are William Woollard, Raymond Baxter or Tom Bell when you need them?

I think it was mentioned that the Coronation flypast in 1953 consisted of 168 aircraft,again the facts should have been checked-the actual number being over 600 with another 300 aircraft on the ground.

The clueless BBC presenter described the standards on a stack of drums-she did not know the meaning of drum head....

I note one of the Royal Party had a beard whilst wearing RAF uniform(no,not Camilla),RAF chaps(or ladies) are not normally permitted face fungus-does this rule not affect royals?

Last Edit: by Bloodhound1949.

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 18:09 #4

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 388
Regarding beards: Is there a different rule if you are not currently serving in that service? If so are there yet more rules regarding wearing a uniform when no longer in service or are honorary ranks excepted.

The only one that I came across, being a civvie, was the ability to use your rank in your title if you were at a certain rank, Squadron Leader perhaps? Not sure if that is connected though. I remember being instructed on this subject back in July 1977 - the last time I sang four verses of the National Anthem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bloodhound1949

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 18:21 #5

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 245

Bloodhound1949 wrote: The Brylcreem boys(or is it persons these days?) put on rather a good show but as usual the BBC presentation and commentary were dire.The RAF flypast commentator sounded like he was just reading out his script verbatim from the official blurb-Where are William Woollard, Raymond Baxter or Tom Bell when you need them?

Quite agree ! It needed someone who looked, and sounded enthusiastic about what they were reporting. Raymond Baxter would have done it brilliantly. :)

The Dead got memorials, The living got time.
Last Edit: by airfields man.

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 18:27 #6

• John Anderson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
He had a beard at his wedding in the uniform of the Household Cavalry, the Queen apparently gave a dispensation as he was no longer serving. As I understand it beards can only be grown officially in the Royal Navy or a certain NCO rank in the Pioneer Corps (army), also when on active service in the army or the RAF.

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 18:30 #7

• Bloodhound1949
I think the official rule was that it was ok to use rank when retired,but it only applied to Squadron Leader and above....

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 19:15 #8

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 470

Bloodhound1949 wrote: I think it was mentioned that the Coronation flypast in 1953 consisted of 168 aircraft,again the facts should have been checked-the actual number being over 600 with another 300 aircraft on the ground.

Sure it was said by someone who took part in the Coronation flypast or was at involved on the ground so not the BBC's fault.

It would have been rude to contradict him especially without having time to check details.

RAF 100th Birthday in London 11 Jul 2018 19:56 #9

• ted angus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 42
The royals can change the rules on a whim to suit the occasion, Harry's uniform was a farce, he is honorary Air Comm of Honington- so he should have been in an Air Comm uniform minus regt insignia. Re his army wings- that bit is correct, would be the same ruling if he had qualified as an FAA pilot or as a submariner. Beards have long been a royal tradition in uniform- the one that grips me is Charles para wings; the ruling at the time he qualified was 8 training jumps and filling an established para qualified post.
It was an excellent event and the only real drill cockup I noticed was very early at Buck house on the order shoulder arms from the slope a CPL ( female) started to present. The public support was unbelievable . My daughter in law who is a WO was collecting for RAFA at Liverpool St Station. So who were all the RAF personnel stood outside the railings watching ? Ted

RAF 100th Birthday in London 12 Jul 2018 08:17 #10

• Bloodhound1949
Yes,you are correct,it was said by an old boy who had taken part in the 1953 flypast.....I do blame the BBC for employing such lightweight staff with little knowledge of their subjects though....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds