Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I may just be old age but....

I may just be old age but.... 29 Aug 2018 20:46 #1

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 524
I may just be old age but....

1) Worcester Sauce doesn't seem to be as strong as it used to be. I know put a whole thimble full on each slice of cheese on toast and hardly taste it.
2) Wife bought some Munchies for me in one of those reusable packets. Awful, tasted like cooking chocolate. The same with Caramac buttons, almost tasteless.

It seems to be commonly regarded that tomatoes and strawberries have had the taste bred out of them but to do it on Worcester sauce is criminal. We use it to add flavour.

Then onto less edible stuff. Hammerite! We bought a medium sized tin of green smooth Hammerite to paint out iron swing seat frame and other assorted bits of ironmongery but it took a few weeks to stop being tacky. This was during the hot and sunny weather as well. It still feels soft and easily scratched off with a fingernail. It was thoroughly stirred with a bent coat hanger in a drill so I can only assume it is now naff as a paint, possibly after multiple takeovers and scrutiny by the bean counters. Our 25 year old tin of smooth black Hammerite had the opposite problem as it dried to damn quick but is still as fresh as the day we bought it, with no separation of the contents. I suspect I will change brands now - something water based I suspect, cheaper on brushes and thinners.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I may just be old age but.... 29 Aug 2018 21:56 #2

• kebecker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 202
Victory V's.seemed to loose their punch in the 80s and what ever happened to Fishermans Friends?

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 09:09 #3

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 329
Still with the less edible, my Tesco Hudl2 tablet has just died. It cost £99. The Hudl has been obsolete for three years; with advances in technology a number of websites have suggested that a similar device can now be bought for 'between £60 and £120'. They are wrong.

Looking for a replacement - I want Android, high-res screen, HDMI out, USB connectivity and GPS, all of which the Hudl had and I used regularly. I'm now looking at £550+ replacements and even these don't have everything that I need. They do however have a plethora of things which I would never use in a month of Sundays.

(I need Android as I purchased an expensive mapping system which only works with that OS).

I did a contract years ago for a (then) well-known confectionery company. They produced Vitamin C Pastilles, one variant of which was 'Vit C (Italy)' The difference in that one was that no ascorbic acid had been added as Italian food regs demanded that the product had to be 'natural'. They probably contained less than 5% of vit C when compared with the universal product.
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Last edit: by Carnaby.

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 09:17 #4

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Wagon wheel biscuits are smaller, and that is a fact. As for hammerite, you didnt buy the anti vandal one by mistake did you?

And I wish the TV would stop doing all its measurements in metric!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 09:50 #5

• Ossington_2008
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Modern white paint bugs me. Goes yellow after a few months. And I have to spend an age reading the small print on the back of the tin. If it says "wash brushes in water" I now put it back. What is this stuff? exterior emulsion? No, just no!

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 10:48 #6

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 430

kebecker wrote: Victory V's.seemed to loose their punch in the 80s and what ever happened to Fishermans Friends?

Fishermans Friends are big seller here in Thailand and come in a number of weird flavours apart from original.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WILLIAMARNOLD

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 11:36 #7

• Peter Kirk

canberra wrote: As for hammerite, you didn't buy the anti vandal one by mistake did you?

I might just as well have, at least for a few weeks. It is now dry but it should be, we painted it in May. This was a new tin, when it happened two years ago we thought it was a bad batch, but no, it wasn't. I just checked the internet, well some of it, and it appears it a common problem and suspicions are that it is to do with health and safety and reduction of dangerous chemicals. I wonder if Swarfega still works? Our tub of that is older than 25 years!

Anyone remember Rozalex? I used the barrier cream when I did machining for my dad on Saturday mornings in the late sixties, that worked a treat. It used to be in a large cardboard tub about two foot high. Nothing worked on tea stains in the tea cups and the joke was that they were reamed out once a year.

The new wonder cleaner is baby wipes! It even removed semi-dry spots of enamel paint without any trouble.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 11:46 #8

• Peter Kirk

Ossington_2008 wrote: Modern white paint bugs me. Goes yellow after a few months. And I have to spend an age reading the small print on the back of the tin. If it says "wash brushes in water" I now put it back. What is this stuff? exterior emulsion? No, just no!

Oddly, I haven't found that problem - yet. We clad the end exterior of the garage with tongue and groove cheap interior pine. This was a temporary solution to cover the pebble dash which fell off. The wood was painted with white exterior water based paint, no undercoat, and looked good. Earlier this year we decided to repaint from the same tin but struggled to know where we had repainted as the old colour was still white. The wood did shrink slightly but is showing no signs of rot or decay, not bad for cheap 3/8th pine!

I was impressed with the exterior wall paint as it has covered the house pebble dash very well and is resistant to jet washing and no pebble dash has fallen off since. Some things are better than they were at least. Better than mixing up Snowcem in a drum - that was hard work back in 1971!

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 12:19 #9

• Bloodhound1949
  • Thank you received: 73
Victory V originally contained ether , lots of old dears falling asleep in Church after sucking them so they altered the ingredients...As virtually no one goes to church these days perhaps its time to bring back the original ingredients...

I may just be old age but.... 30 Aug 2018 12:26 #10

• Bloodhound1949
  • Thank you received: 73
Yes,you are correct about the Worcestershire Sauce,it is virtually tasteless these days....I think Lea and Perrins faced competition from other makers after their patent ran out and maybe forced to use inferior ingredients.

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds