Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Police Cars

Police Cars 16 Jul 2019 12:34 #21

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 613
Yep, we were taught at our school driving lessons that green was the most dangerous and to slow down. The instructor also repeated that famous poem:-

This is the story of Mike O’Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
His right was clear! His will was strong.
But he’s just as dead, as if he was wrong.

There are many versions of this and some adapted to other modes of transport.

Seeing a fire engine navigating a crowded Oxford Street on a bomb shout was something to behold and I was impressed by the skill of the driver in swerving around the traffic and the various hard obstacles put in their way. Most people got out of the way pretty sharpish despite knowing it was probably another hoax.

Has anyone heard the "rumbler" that they use in some US cities? Apparently you can feel it as well as hear it.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Police Cars 16 Jul 2019 14:31 #22

• kebecker
  • kebecker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
Quebec City police and their Harley Fergusons a few years ago.

And a Sûreté du Québec F150 in Blanc Sablon

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by kebecker.

Police Cars 16 Jul 2019 14:41 #23

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 350

ChrisTheAncient wrote: .

Quite a few years ago (30+ish) I used to have a Triumph 2500 PI Some days, the fuel gauge used to go faster than the car!

I had a Ford Granada 2.8GL, automatic about 25 years ago. When going along the motorway at 100mph you could see the fuel gauge going down. Yes ! a silly thing to watch at that speed...
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra, ChrisTheAncient

Police Cars 16 Jul 2019 15:26 #24

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 665
Years ago there was an article in a paper about second hand fire engines, it mentioned one brigade in Yorkshire or thereabouts having a heritage collection. Some of these are reserve vehicles for major incidents and one was sent to the Flixborough explosion / fire. It overtook a police car on the way, the police driver saw them later and asked them what on earth they had under the bonnet, It was something like a 7 litre turbo charged petrol engine!

It drank fuel but it was a case of literally "all hands to the pumps" that day.

Last edit: by mbriscoe.

Police Cars 17 Jul 2019 10:21 #25

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
A lot of fire engines did have Rolls-Royce engines.

Those coppers a brave wearing short sleeved shirts whilst riding a motorbike. Its not against the law but if you come off, oh boy the gravel rash!!!!

Police Cars 22 Jul 2019 09:54 #26

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Back to the photo of the RCMP vehicle at Goose, the vehicles at Goose were in that colour scheme when I was there in 90. In Ottawa 10 years ago they were white with what I would call a cheat line in the Mounties colours of red gold and blue.

And a few years ago I saw a Lancashire Constabulary SWB Landrover, painted all in white with an orange stripe. And it had its lights and siren on!

Police Cars 22 Jul 2019 16:26 #27

• kebecker
  • kebecker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
Current RCMP livery seems to be white with a Creat, a series of stripes and an image of a horse and rider. They have also been fitted with a very low profile roof light bar so they are not always easy to spot!

Police Cars 23 Jul 2019 09:38 #28

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I saw a public information film the other day from the mid fifties. It was about trainee met police drivers, showed them with their instructor. What surprised me was he was teaching them to toot their horn when ever they over took a vehicle on a dual carriageway.

Police Cars 23 Jul 2019 10:39 #29

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 613
I haven't heard of that one but we always toot our horn on narrow country lanes whenever we approach a tight bend. Doesn't protect you from speeding cars who "know the local roads" but helps pedestrians and cyclists. Not sure if that was once compulsory but it sounds similar to the overtaking thing which has obviously dropped out of the Highway Code. I wonder if there were rules for the old three lane roads, one up one down and an overtaking lane. The last one I recall in Norfolk has now gone due to cycle lanes. Not sure which is safer.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Police Cars 23 Jul 2019 12:06 #30

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 665
I was never convinced that three lane roads were as dangerous as it often claimed. Comparison are usually made with dual carriageways or motorways which do not seem a fair comparison. The real comparison should be with single carriageway roads because they are the real alternative.

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds