Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Police Cars

Police Cars 09 Sep 2019 14:07 #51

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 665
According to Wonkypedia, all the Green Goddesses have been disposed of but the government have power to take over fire service appliances in the event of future strikes.

One query, can anyone explain why security vehicles have a sign on back reading something like "POLICE PLEASE FOLLOW ME"? If seems completely pointless, they are not going to follow every security vehicle with sign. I could understand if there was a flashing light or something and it said to follow when the light flashing. Perhaps there is some secret signal they make when requiring assistance but then why have the sign?

Always puzzled me and passed one this morning - no light of police cars following it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mbriscoe.

Police Cars 09 Sep 2019 16:13 #52

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 614
Saw the Green Goddesses in action in Central London in 1977 during the fireman's strike. They seemed to cope okay but obviously lacked the slick co-ordination that an experienced fire crew managed. Had bells, two tone and blue light with blue flashing stud lights.I assume the sandy coloured hoses used the same coupling as the LFB?

Are there still red protection duty police cars? They were the only permanently armed police as far as I recall and indeed one of there number shot an armed robber in Eltham back in the seventies. Did they take their weapons home in those days?
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Police Cars 09 Sep 2019 16:34 #53

• kebecker
  • kebecker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
The L'Anse au Clair. Volunteer Fire Department on 1 July 2019.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Police Cars 09 Sep 2019 16:51 #54

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 665
A friend was in another armed part of the police. They were supposed to put their guns in a police or military armoury every night. They didn't of course, they were working long hours, moving around so the last they wanted to do at the end of a long day was drive even more to get to an armoury.

Police Cars 09 Sep 2019 18:59 #55

• airfields man
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 350

TerryClark wrote: Steam Trains in Old Amersham would be a novelty; the railway line is a mile away up the hill in Amersham on the Hill (I come from nearby Chesham pronounced 'Chess - am'; the town on the river Chess, the 'h' being silient). Having said that, the area is a mecca for steam traction engines.

Yes it would be quite odd to see a Steam train in Old Amersham. I of course meant Steam engines, but realised too late to change it. Regards Chess-am, my neighbour moved from there a while ago, and I have been delivering there for years...Griffetts yard, and I used to reverse a large truck down there. plus many others places....
The Dead got memorials, The living got time.

Police Cars 10 Sep 2019 10:12 #56

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Police Armed Response Vehicles have a dayglo asterisk on them to show who they are.

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds