• Page:

TOPIC: Flt Lt Wilfred 'Johnny' Johnson DFC

Flt Lt Wilfred 'Johnny' Johnson DFC 28 Aug 2019 10:46 #1

• TerryClark
  • TerryClark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 99
The above was Boris's grandad and earned his DFC by bringing his Wellington back to Chivenor having lost an engine but dumping his load of depth charges over Braunton Barrows before landing to avoid them falling on innocent civilians cost him precious height and he was unable to make the runway crashing just short.
Source: Daily Mail 27 August.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Flt Lt Wilfred 'Johnny' Johnson DFC 28 Aug 2019 13:41 #2

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
I saw the article. What interested me was the letter accompanying the DFC, the Kings signature ended in R not RI. It was after Indian independence that the I was removed from his signature.

Flt Lt Wilfred 'Johnny' Johnson DFC 28 Aug 2019 16:13 #3

• TerryClark
  • TerryClark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 99

canberra wrote: I saw the article. What interested me was the letter accompanying the DFC, the Kings signature ended in R not RI. It was after Indian independence that the I was removed from his signature.

Looked like a 'standard' pre printed letter to me with Johnson's name typed across the bottom using a different typewriter. The signature could be a rubber stamp; the one from QE2 on my VR(T) commision was; I had red writing on my commision but some commisions had black writing which meant the signature was genuine.

Flt Lt Wilfred 'Johnny' Johnson DFC 29 Aug 2019 09:56 #4

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
It may well be a standard pre printed letter, but that doesnt explain why the I has been missed off the Kings signature. As I said the I (for Emperor) was removed after Indian independence in 1947.

As for the signature on commissioning parchments AFAIK they havent been genuine for quite some time. As for the Queens signature I was told that on official documents she writes in green ink.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds