• Page:

TOPIC: Gliding

Gliding 04 Sep 2019 11:42 #1

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Do we have any members who are glider pilots or anyone who knows anything about gliding?

I ask this as a glider crashed on Cross Fell early last month, the pilot has only just come out of a coma. What surprised me is that he is 15 years old. Is the law on flying solo different for gliders? AFAIK its 16 for powered aircraft, I would have thought the rule would be the same for cliders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gliding 04 Sep 2019 13:54 #2

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 99
I believe 14 year olds can solo if they're flying a civilian glider; I think it's still 16 for Air Cadet gliders.

Gliding 05 Sep 2019 10:33 #3

• canberra
  • canberra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Thanks for that. Im susrprised that the law hasnt been brought in to line with that of cars.

Gliding 05 Sep 2019 15:01 #4

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 99

TerryClark wrote: I believe 14 year olds can solo if they're flying a civilian glider; I think it's still 16 for Air Cadet gliders.

Just googled it; you can fly solo at 14 (I think it's due to commonality with EASA rules) but you apparently cannot hold a Sailplane Pilots Licence (SPL) until you are 16; seems a bit daft but that's how I read it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds