Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
There has been a change to the forum, introducing a new “Forum Member” subscription membership category. This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.

TOPIC: Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 16:27 #1

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 401
I have just noticed that my Windows 7 PC has a new icon on the right of the task bar for a free upgrade to Windows 10. Has anyone else had this icon appear and do you think it is worth the hassle?

I don't know whether to try it or not and after the Vista fiasco I am hesitant to lose Windows 7 and the probable incompatabilities with some of my old but expensive hardware and software. Having upgraded my Vista PC to Windows 7 (not a clean install) it became apparent very quickly that a clean install was the only sensible option and the trouble I had getting the network to work, the printers and especially the sound was a nightmare spread over two weeks.

Having bought 4 copies of XP years ago the four copies of Vista and now 6 copies of Windows 7 I am loath to fork out yet again for the latest pretty front end to the same old stuff. If I can get a free full version on DVD even better as I can chose when to install and not be forced into a narrow window for the apparent safety of the world.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 18:55 #2

• Guest_1
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 155
The message came up on both of my PC's if you register for win10, they'll notify you when it is ready & you can download it for free & install it if & when you want to, it's yours to keep.

I'll download it & wait for other users comments before I use it though.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 19:26 #3

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 485
I have been wondering whether the download will be for one PC only so have been registering for notification on each PC using different EMail addresses.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 19:37 #4

• superplum
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Just Google it; it tells you all you need to know and it is free! I read about it 2-3 months ago.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 19:48 #5

• Harboda77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Are the free down loaders going to debug it for MS ?

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 21:34 #6

• AiXAdmin
  • Thank you received: 1
Upgrade... possibly but not until MS have published their long term strategic plans for future versions of Windows...
Whilst I accept it may be more efficient and have better security .. blah blah I haven`t seen any compelling new features - sorry Cortana, nothing personal.

There was a time when I looked forward to, and willingly paid for upgrades... now I'm a little more cautious and rarely upgrade anything until I understand the implications.

I look forward to hearing from those that take the plunge.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 22:31 #7

• REF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 399
I recently upgraded my windows - I brought an iMac ;-)

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 04 Jun 2015 22:51 #8

• Peter Kirk
I have yet to see a use for voice activated software like Cortana. In a noisy environment like the open plan office and phone calls and conversations that get louder and louder it will be a nightmare for company users. Having watched a bloke on a crowded train talking to his Apple trying to look important but coming across as a joke in a suit I can see it will be the but of many jokes.

I seem to remember an early voice activated interface, for DOS I think or possibly early Windows, and we just kept creeping up behind the guy and yelling "format C, enter". It never worked. Rather like the text based HAL that Lotus used for about 5mins you had to know what to put in so it didn't save any time.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 07 Jun 2015 20:33 #9

• BlueShadow
  • Thank you received: 0
Voice recognition seems to have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. My daughter uses the Google voice interface on her phone all the time and it just works. Very impressive.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade 29 Aug 2015 18:55 #10

• Peter Kirk
Just upgraded my Win7 laptop to Win10 and did the download (via the Media Creation Tool) and install in one go. It took over 7 hours! If I stood and watched it it might have been quicker by about half an hour no more. The after the install and the updates had finished I thought I would give it a go. Computer (or Microsoft) said no as no input device worked. Hey ho, almost expected that so did a hard reboot and finally logged in again after 5 mins reboot!
That is a lot worse than my Win7 3mins. Even then the various apps were busy trying to work out if they need attention or whatever they do, for the next 3 mins (this happened in Win7 anyway).

All in all no improvement and I still had to correct time/date formats despite country being United Kingdom. At least my key applications worked. I haven't tried to play music or watch videos yet. I suspect a clean install will be much better as legacy problems won't be carried over but I believe that won't be free.

I won't be updating my desktop anytime soon as I use it for work and Citrix were a bit slow to update to Windows 7!

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds